Toddler eating habits...

I need help! My 16-month-old has been self-feeding for a few months now, but we're pretty limited on what she'll eat (scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, french fries, chicken nuggets, and the occasional ham & cheese sandwich). She doesn't like things that are "slimy" to pick up (i.e. macaroni and cheese), and unless it's applesauce or yogurt, won't let me spoon-feed her anymore. Help!!!! What did you all feed your kids at this age???

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am having that problem now with my 11 month old. He will eat anything you put infront of him except macaroni or any other kind of pastas or things of that same texture, and when I try and spoon feed him he gets irate! I have found that if I put a very small bowl of something infront of him with a plastic baby spoon he does try and eat it himself. Makes a complete mess and 50% ends up on the floor or walls but atleast he's eating the other 50% lol. Other than that, I have started buying those microwave pancakes and waffles for breakfast, pb&j, grilled cheese, ravioli, oven pizzas for lunch.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Everything the rest of us were eating, with the exception of tough steak - tacos, spicy stuff (not TOO spicy, but they all loved spicy stuff), everything, they ate it all. If we had t-bones and the tenderoin was super-tender, they'd eat that too. Pretty much from their first birthday on.
    Anonymous

• Mine did not get to eat french fries or nuggets unless we were eating out and he hated them.

I fed him plain meats(chicken, pork chop meat, beef patties), and vegatable(mixed, peas and carrots, spinach, beets, broccoli, sweet potatoes(baked), carrots) and fruit(mixed from a can in it's own juice, bananas, apples)
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yeah, same here. I was hoping to find something halfway-healthy to feed her, but she's doing a pretty good job of that on her own by turning her nose up and so much!! LoL.
    I've been slowly getting her used to a spoon, but no real luck yet....
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Braden's mom - Chloe LOVES chicken nuggets and fries, LoL. They're pretty much the only thing she'll eat for dinner and not throw off her tray, LoL...
    I'm just frustrated here. I know she's in a rut eating the same things all the time, but when you're a first-time parent, no one tells you the useful shit you really NEED to know; they're full of that stupid happy "oh its a phase, blah blah blah children are a blessing kumbayah" crap.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Those aren't healthy though. Mine also loved ravioli from a can, but, I only allowed him to have it once a month. He hated alot of foods, but, I kept serving them and he eventually ate them just fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• He also refused to eat green veggies starting at 6 months. I perservered though. He eventually ate those as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Most children go through these eating phases. Always try to introduce different items first, then if he won't eat go to the back up, but at least you tried and he might try it. It may make it to the list of only's
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Honestly, Braden's mom.... The way Chloe is, I don't really care if it's all that healthy or not. If she gets her protein and vitamins out of it, I'm not too worried about the fat content. She's too picky for me to be that strict on what I feed her, and I really don't want to raise a neurotic little dieter (or worse, a vegan). Little girls have enough to worry about these days.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2010