Do the drugs that stop labor cause blood sugar levels to rise?

I am 31 weeks pregnant today and find myself in the hospital with a ruptured amniotic sac. I was admitted two weeks ago during my 29th weeks and had suspected a leak 11 days prior to being admitted. Furthermore, I have now started spotting lightly and the Dr. has prescribed for me to begin taking a drug to prevent contractions called terbutaline every 6 hours and another medication called atarax to cut the edge on the jitters that the terbutaline may give me. My question is do any of these two medications cause my sugar levels to rise? I am also a type 2 diabetic who is controlling her sugar levels with an insulin pump. My levels have risen substanially ever since being put on these two drugs. I have gotten as high as 202 and for me that is just too high. I havent been able to speak with the Dr. but I have questioned more than 1 nurse but have gotten conflicting stories.

gice

Asked by gice at 3:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was an L&D nurse before I went into peds. I don't recall either being a problem with blood sugar, but I checked on drugs.com, and terbutaline has "diabetes" listed as a possible side effect. Ask the nurse to call the hospital pharmacist to find out.
    And remember, sometimes you have to decide which is more important, a higher blood sugar vs an under-developed baby. That is a very personal decision between you and your doc, since higher blodd sugars can also impact the baby. It may be a balancing game, including coverage with some insulin some of the time. Until you get to the point where it's "safer' for the baby to deliver.
    Good luck!

Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010