Can you follow Weight Watchers on your own with just the books- no online membership or meetings??

What do you think? Is it possible to follow Weight Watchers by just using the books (the companion and the dining out ones)??
I have been doing pathetic at losing weight for many, many months and finally decided it isn't rediculous to pay for help!! I went on Ebay and purchased the two books I mentioned.

dragonflylovr19

Asked by dragonflylovr19 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yep! I'm doing it right now actually! I've lost 2 pounds in 1 week already and lost 8 lbs in 1 week before! The meetings and stuff are bascially just like a support group type thing for people who need that extra push. But if you have enough self-control and motivation, you can def. do it on your own. Just count your points! I've learned to save the majority of your points for when you are most hungry during the day. I usually am most hungry in the evening around dinner time, so I try and save most of my points for then. I am allowed 23 points a day and so far I've only eaten 8 points. So I still have tons of points left for dinner so I won't go to bed hungry! Also, there are things that are no points...like diet cola, green beans, tomatoes, sugar free jello, water (obviously), etc. So essentially you can eat as much as you want of those things if you've reached your point limit for the day and are still hungry! Cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yep. Just read them thoroughly. And, the healthier the food , the more you can eat. Don't go under you daily points AT ALL. You have that many for a reason. It keeps you from nearly starving once you lose all your weight. Only weigh once a week. Don't eat crap food or fake diet snack junk because you can eat more if you eat better. . But, when using your weekly point extras, you can choose to use all, none, some, all at one, or spread out. You can have ANY food you want really as long as you use your dailies and no more.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• They also have Weight Watcher brand foods and the grocery store that tell you right on the box how many points they are. I just bought a box of giant fudge bars and they are only 2 points a piece. Oh yeah, lettuce is zero points as well but the dressing is what kills you. If you like Italian dressing, I think its like 2 points for a low-fat italian dressing on a salad, which isn't bad. Ranch dressing is like 5 points for a tablespoon or something crazy like that. Do you have a little calculator thing that you can figure out what the points will be by looking at the nutrional information of a food? Its like a cardboard thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yes! my mom did it years ago and only got the booklets and went to one meeting only to weigh in with a friend..shes lost 120 lbs...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Oh, and do the 9 daily health guidelines: 2 Tbls of some good for you oil a day(cook with it, drizzle it), drink enough water, eat plenty of veggies and grains, take a vitamin, excercise, lean meat, dairy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If you get the point system they use I don't see why not!! remember consistency is the name of the game!

Answer by older at 4:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• WOW! Thanks for your replies!! Very, very helpful!!! Do you recommend that I buy one of those calculators???
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The cardboard slider is very helpful. Also to take it with you grocery shopping to count points right there. And have some Sharpie markers and mark points on pakages before you put them in you cabinets and fridge. Easy to spot it then. Split stuff into serving sizes in baggies and mark points on it and get a food scale to weigh your food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Oh a cardboard slider?? I did see that you can buy a WW calculator where you enter different things (fat, calories, fiber I think) and it converts it to points.
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes, you can and I have. I use the cardboard slider.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 5:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010