Health Insurance

Are they bad? Do some actually choose them over employer provided plans? Are the more expensive? I hear people saying how much it is through their employer and it seems like it costs just as much as individually bought insurance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Health

• for us it's about the same either way. but the deductable is cheaper through the employer by about half.
    Anonymous

• We used to have insurance through DH's old job - it was horrible horrible horrible! We dropped it after we found other insurance (for me & the kids), it was so much better - premiums were about 1/3, it covered 20x more what the other did, co-pays were less - it was the best decision we've ever made for our family. I'm still on it - and it's still worth what it costs.
    Anonymous

• It varies so much. At my last full-time job, my employer paid 100% of the insurance and we had everything - major medical, dental, hospitalization, and chiropractic. You have to really look over the policies and compare. Right now I need a referral to see a specialist, which is a pain. I had a pre-cancerous lesion removed by a dermatologist (got a referral for that visit). Then my regular doctor's office forgot to send the referral for the follow-up visit, and they wouldn't see me b/c my insurance wouldn't cover it. Buying private insurance is a good option if your employer does not provide it. I've had to have surgery without insurance, so I'd rather not go without again.

Meanwhile, if you live near a larger city, you can probably find a community health clinic that will see you with no insurance and offer a sliding scale. There are specialists that donate their time, and you may get help with prescriptions.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010