Do Twins ever make it full term? Or are they always born early?

Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My DIL was able to carry her girls to 40 weeks. She was huge. Her uterus was so overstretched that it would not contract so she had a C Section. My daughter had a C section at 38 weeks. I think it is great to make it to 38 weeks but according to statistics, it is not common. Usually the pregnancy is about 35 to 36 weeks at the most.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Well I know they are more likely to be born early but I know not all of them are. On my preggy board there was a woman pregnant with twins who outlasted a majority of us and made it to 41 weeks.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• According to everything I read when I was pregnant, about half (maybe a little more) make it to at least 36 weeks. I made it to 37 weeks, which is not considered preterm; my babies spent no time in the NICU and came home from the hospital with me. Lots of moms make it even further than I did. My sister-in-law carried her twins to 38 1/2 weeks.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i carried mine at least 36 weeks. i am not sure of the conception date. i have heard that if you conceive naturally and are larger in size it is easier to carry full term. i am very short and didn't know i was carrying twins until 6 months along. i feel like if we knew sooner i could have eaten more, and taken it easier earlier, and then kept them in longer. i also had mar 17 as my min due date, and that is when they came...so i wonder too, if i would have had a later date in my mind if that would have helped.
    sorry, to answer your question, yes twins can go full term :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• A good friend of mine had twins 4 months ago. She was induced at 37 weeks - her doctor doesn't like to let twins go past that point. They didn't need the NICU and went home with mom 2 days later (she delivered them vaginally). Another gal who lives down the street from my parents just had twins about 2 weeks ago - her doctor took them by c-section at 38 weeks (different doctor, won't let twins go past 38 weeks). They went home with mom at 4 days old. Both of these moms would have carried longer if their doctors had allowed them. So no, not all twins are born early.
    Anonymous

• Most doctors schedule csections before the due date, but they can go full terms, doctors don't want it because a smaller baby is easier to deliver.

Answer by older at 6:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I had mine at 32 weeks. I know people who got close.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my sister had hers at 40 weeks and was induced
    njstewart07

Answer by njstewart07 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I am 40 and a twin to a boy. We were 1 month early. He had to stay in the hospital because he was small. I was fine and came home first. But we're both healthy.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Sure they can go full term. I know a least two people who had twins that were at least seven pounds each delivered full term with a natural delivery. My twins were nine weeks early though.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010