How can I get my 9 month old to sleep in his crib?

every time i put my son in his crib to sleep he freaks out even if im standing right next to him soothing him. when i lay him down while he is asleep he instantly wakes up and screams. Ive tried to let him cry it out but but his screaming never calms down. If i put him in my bed to sleep he dosent wake up, even when i leave the room. but i know it is dangerous for him to sleep in my bed because he can roll out. But i have no idea what to do about this sleeping issue. HELP!?

jshaver

Asked by jshaver at 7:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i still let my son sleep in my bed sometimes. if im going to leave the room i put pillows around the bed so that if he rolls off he will land on the pillows, & i check on him sometimes too. but my son doesnt like to go in his crib either, i usually have to rock him to sleep, until hes in a good deep sleep, that very softly put him in the crib & if he starts to cry at all i start rubbing his head & turn his lullaby thing on & hope he falls back asleep. hes almost 11 months old BTW
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• well first make sure all his needs are meet diaper, bottle, burp etc.. then make sure he is tired before putting him the crib.. try to put him into bed at the same time every night.. my son 10 months has slept through the night in his crib since he was about three months.. he goes to bed at 11 pm getting up around 7:30 am & has a midday 2 hour nap around noon- 2pm
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 7:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• make sure your scent is on the crib sheets
    Anonymous

• i broke my son of that when he was 8months old. but he stills wakes up when he has a bad dream or doesnt feel good and wants in my bed. try giving him something that smells like you. like try covering his pillow with a shirt you used that you havent washed yet(as long as it is not too dirty); baby's like the smell of their mother it makes them feel safe and secure. he feels safe in your bed and you can leave him there and he doesnt wake up because it smells like you. so put a shirt over his pillow or over a stuffed animal and put it is his bed. try letting him fall asleep in your bed and then put him in his. thats what i did with mine. after a week of that i would start putting him in there at shorter times after he falls alseep, like let him fall asleep in your bed then an hour later put him in his. after a week shorten the time. also make sure he has a full tummy. i put a pinch of nutmeg in my sons milk and warmed it up. it
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 8:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• continued......
    i put a pinch of nutmeg in my son's bottle and warmed it up. it helped him fall asleep faster and stay asleep better. try that and please let me know how it works out for you!
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 8:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If you don't mind keeping him in your bed and your only concern is him falling, get some toddler bed rails.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Well the whole thing with keeping him in my bed is that when i am not in there and he wakes up he falls off the bed and i dont always here him wake up either, and toddler rails are not tall enough to keep him from falling over them since he can pull himself up
    ive tried to have him sleep with a shirt of mine that i wore, works for nap time not for bedtime. he just screams as soon as i lay him down. i am really frustrated.
    he is teething but i need a break and sleeping by myself would be amazing!!! i just feel so bad for letting him cry it out, cause most of the time it dosent work and then its for nothing.
    The bottle thing, i breast feed. i thought about giving him a bottle in his crib like i did my daughter but he cannot hold up a bottle because he dosent get them that often to have had the practice
    but when he does go to be, he is fed, changed, burped, rocked and loved. so i dont know what the deal is.

jshaver

Answer by jshaver at 12:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2010