How do find the child room laws of your state?

I want to find out how old my kids are when they need their own rooms. I've been allover google and cant find it...

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 7:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd call a HUD office. They would know. Section 8 especially. They have to go by the laws for their program.
    Anonymous

• As far as I know there are no laws stating that kids need their own rooms! IDK how they could make a law like that really.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I don't think there ARE any rules--whatever works for your family is what it is! I think as far as boys and girls sharing the same bedroom, by around the time they notice their "differences" they should be in separate rooms---but some families are either too large or homes are too small to make those kinds of accomodations.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• There is no law.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I don't know how you would find that law but I know that here in Ohio children of the opposite sex can not have a room together after the age of 2.And they must have doors on their bedroom as well as the parents.
    The only reason I know this is because a friend of mine had CPS called on her for something and when they came to do the investigation, they made her get a house with thier own bedrooms, telling her that this was the law. I think it really is only enforced when CPS gets involved for something and they start investigating. Its not like they are just going to show up at your house to check that everyone has thier own room.
    Anonymous

• Contact your local CPS. They would know, you could probably shoot a quick email to the general questions section... it might take a bit, but they do generally get back to you. Calling may be faster- but you'll get the run around.

However, MOST states do not have such laws. If they do it is only for opposite sex siblings or too many in one room.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I didn't think there were any laws that state that either... Why can't kids share a room?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It's only a guideline (possibly a law in some states) if you are receiving public assistance. For example.... If you qualify for section 8 and you have two boys and a girl, plus a parent they can't put you in a 2 bedroom house - they would have to house  you in a 3 bedroom house or apartment at the very least - with doors.

Anonymous

• In my stare AZ on Sec 8 they changed it... so if you have a 15 year old boy, and a 3 year old girl. They would have to share a room you would only qualify for a 2 bedroom other than that there are no laws
    Anonymous

• There are no laws. I have seen numerous times on cafemom people stating that there are such laws and they don't exist. The only law that I know that does concern this is with foster children. If you have a boy foster child they may only share a room with a boy, same with girls. But when it comes down to your blood family, there are no laws.
    Anonymous