Have you given a child up for adoption?

just wondering how many women could actually do something like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I got pregnant at 16, to be honest abortion and adoption never even crossed my mind. I knew I was his mother and was going to raise him, and seeing how wonderfully I am doing and have done, I am so glad I didn't! I applaud those who do, it would kill me everyday!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It's better than murdering your child.
    Anonymous

• No, I have not "given a child up". I did however give my child a chance at a better life. Yes, I am a birthmom.
    Anonymous

• my aunt did & my ex was adopted.. its a good thing it better than abortion which is murder.. my ex had a really good childhood unlike me & I wasn't adopted.. I hope my aunts' "child" who would be older than me I'm 34 had a good childhood to..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 7:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i hyave 2 cousins who did....one for good reason.....she was having twins making #s 4+5 and couldnt afford 2 more and couldnt choose one so she gave both a better home. one for selfish reason......her husband went to prison and she got prego by a man that wasnt even the same race as her husband so she couldnt pull it off like it happened before he went.....guess its better than abortion????
    Anonymous

• I thank God, I never had to make that choice. I do admire someone who can put their baby's welfare ahead of their own needs when they are in a position where there was only that option. They don't need judgement cause I'm sure they have already been their own judge on that. It has to be an awful painful decision.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My son's bm provided a home, a steady and stable environment, and two parents who would raise her child. About 100,000 children each year in the U.S. are adopted. Only 1/3 are international adoptions. The majority are domestic. Half of those come from foster care and the other half are private.  So many mothers do place their child with a family who they believe is the best fit for their child.  His birthmother is not a saint nor is she a bad person.  She was a woman who made the best plan she could at that specific time in her life.  My good friend is a birthmother who placed her oldest son.  You would be surprised how many people are part of the adoption community.  I worked with her for several years before she was comfortable with telling me.  One other previous coworker I know also gave birth at 15 and placed her daughter with a family. My guess: thousands of women but we don't talk about it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I loved frogdawg's response. I don't feel like I could do that either but if I were in a terrible position (like homeless or being abused and unable to get away or addicted or something), I could see where I would force my hand. Like the last poster said, women who allow their children to be adopted are not bad people nor are they saints. They are just women. There are probably a few women who just don't want their children or don't want to parent and maybe then it is best that they don't. Most women would like to keep and parent their children, I think, and its terrible that they are sometimes in positions where they cannot do that. If this bothers you, maybe a better thing to do would be to support women who truly want to parent in any number of ways (financially, emotionally, logistically, socially) instead of making a moral judgement on strangers.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010