Do you stop when a school bus flashes its lights or puts out its stop sign?

I know this is the law but I recall when my bus driver was dropping me off. The cars just wouldn't stop or even slow down for me to cross and get home. The bus driver had to pull the bus into the opposite street so the other cars HAD to stop for me. Honestly, do you stop for school buses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Of course. FIL is a bus driver and has turned in around 2 dozen people in a year and a half for running his light/sign, passing him while lit, or other things of that nature. My dad also subs for another school and turns in 6-10 offenders per school year - as a SUB. No way am I going to screw up my record and chance killing an innocent child.
    Anonymous

• Yes! Always! It is the law.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 7:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I alway stop. Nothing is so important that I can't stop for a minute so that a child can safely get off of the school bus.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes. Like you said it is law, but not only that it's the respectful thing to do. I would hope people would stop for my children to let them cross safetly, as I do for theirs.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• OMG yes, I could never forgive myself if something were to happen. Forget the law, I would have to live with that.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Absolutely!! Thankfully, I know where the busses stop in our town & about what time, so if I'm running late, I'll just go a different way.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• you have to...if they get your plate number its a $700 fine....it's total BS that they stop every 10 feet though. you see it all the time, a parent is waiting for their child at one stop and 10 feet after that there is another parent waiting and the bus stops their too...as if the parent is incapable of walking an extra few feet to pick up their kid
    Anonymous

• Even if it wasn't the law, I would stop. I could never live with myself if I hit someone's child because I was in "too much of a hurry" to wait for the kids to cross the street. As soon as I see the amber flashing lights come on, I start slowing down. Once the bus stops (with or without the stop sign out), I am at a complete stop.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 8:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes I do. I would never attempt to go past one.
    The morons that do keep on going shouldn't have a license to drive.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'm in NY and I don't know the amount of the fine but I think it also adds points to your license. I always stop and in all my years of driving I've never seen anyone ignore a bus stopping.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2010