When did your child learn to feed themselves?

With a utensil? I don't mean perfectly but able to scoop something out and put it in their mouth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Around a year. Used a fork & spoon pretty dang good by 18 months.
    Anonymous

• 10 or 11 months old. Maybe sooner. He didn't like touching his food and didn't want me feeding him. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• *About* a year.
    Anonymous

• around 8 months i started putting food in front of her to explore....it took a week or so before she actually fed herself.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:59 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My oldest? somewhere about the time she first discovered cookies. LOL Seriously tho, she was quick to potty train, quick to walk and took well to solids (starting at about 12 months when we thought she could handle pureed food and progressing slowly to crackers and smashed potato and finally cereal and such) quickly as well. Imagine my surprise when we found cookie crumbs leading back to her bed in the morning. My Goodness, she was only 17 months. She had maneuvered a chair over to the counter and broken into the cookie jar. The second was more laid back and liked the personal service of being fed and carried
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 8:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My son is .. 18 months. And he knows the concept of how to use a spoon. He did it himself while we were on vacation, though he doesn't even try to do it now. We introduce it when a spoon is needed. We don't just give him a utensile if it isn't needed, that kind of defeats the entire purpose.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Around 11 months. She does it pretty well now at 18 months but she often does it for a little while and then boycotts the utensil in favor of her hands.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2010