What to do about fever?

My 15 month old had a 102.6 fever this morning when he woke up, I gave Motrin and it came back down. he went down for a nap at 1130 and didnt wake up until 330 and it was 103 then. I gave more motrin and it came back down. I picked him up at 645 and noticed he was very hot, 103.4, so i just gave him some Tylenol.

I brushed it off this morning thinking he was sleeping with a blanket and teething, but now I'm concerned with how fast his temp has come back up.

My options are
1) Call his Dr's awnsering service, which i'm sure the nurse will tell me to go to the ER
2)Just go to the ER
3)Keep alternating Tylenol and Motrin for tonight and make an appt for the morning.

I'm leaning towards 3, because in the hospital, they'll just alternate the meds to keep his fever down, and maybe have it figured out by morning if they will start an antibiotic or not. Plus my son will be uncomfortable there.

What do you ladies thi

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Im sure you've already done whatever it is you chose to do but I will answer your question anyways... if you are able to drop his fever, I dont see ANY reason why the nurse would tell you to go to the ER. A fever is NOT an emergency so, IMO, taking him to the ER is totally unnecessary! Yes, it could be a symptom of something else (ie an ear infection) but probably nothing that is a true emergency. I have 2 kids and they both get fevers. I dont give my son anything til his temp hits about 102 because I truely feel that fevers are your bodies way of fighting off infection so I try to let the fever run its course. My daughter gets febrile (Fever) seizures so I give her motrin and tylenol once her fever hits 100 (she seizes at 101) but for a normal kid... I would just push the fluids and continue alternating the meds if it stays about 102
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• JMO, I would go to the ER. A fever of 103 is probably a sign of something else wrong. A teething fever shouldn't get that high.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• the best way to get a fever down is a warm bath
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I never do anything about fevers, even at 103. They are your bodies way of fighting off whatever is attacking it. A fever works because the germs/bacteria like the 98 degree temperature of our bodies, but the fever makes it too hot for them to survive/multiply. The more you continue to lower the fever- the longer it will take for your body to fight the infection.

Small children are in no real danger from higher fevers... If it goes to 104, I'd call. But sitting around 103 isn't dangerous. Keep them comfortable, let them sleep and HYDRATE!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• call the doc..just to see...a fever that high, they hopefully will tell you to go to the er..but if they don't..rotate motrin and tylenol, and give pedialite every hour. if he's throwing up, give him an ounce at a time (tricks the tummy to think that nothing's on it), to keep him hydrated. make sure he has wet diapers..good luck..either way call the doc to be safe. i still call when my dd gets a virus or has a higher gever.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• they actually wont tell you to go to the er unless its over 104. fevers are a good thing.....they fight bacteria or infection. it is your bodies natural response to a foreign germ. it is important to not let it get to high. use cool rags on his forehead and underarms. a luke warm bath usually does the trick with my kids. make sure its not too cool because shivering will cause the fever to rise. alternate tylenol and motrin every four ours. good luck.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Give him a bath,dress him lightly, make suure he gets lots of fluids..even if the only thing he will drink is gingeraile or popsicles, as long as its something,keep alternating the meds and call in the morning.
    After having 2 children and being miss ER mom herself for years with my 1st, I've calmed down about things like that a bit,lol.
    There is most likely something going on other than teething but at the ER, they couldn't do any more than you are doing and that is to give him some tylenol or motrin and send him home and tell you to call his doctor in the morning.After you've sat there for hours with a cranky child with a fever. If he isn't showing any other symptoms that are really serious I'd really just try to keep the fever down myself and wait.
    Hope he feels better soon! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

I agree my kids always run really high fevers I never give any Tylenol until it's 104
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 9:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• hey Mommy, my son has similar problem. However, he has a temperature and running nose. I gave him Mortin immediately and changed him to light clothing. Make sure your baby gets lots of fluid. Water or jucie to keep hydrated. Babies usually get warmer after they awake up. It is not unusual. If your baby is weak, not drinking or eating and hasn't drop temperature, then dont wait. just call in your Doc and seek immediate help. ALl the best.
    Anonymous