Was sons teacher out of line here, need opinions

My son is a freshman in h.s. He has been going to this school since September. Wearing the same t-shirts since September. I buy his t-shirts at a store geared toward High Schoolers called, "tillys" I dont buy him t-shirts with skulls on them or anything else of a dark nature or sexual. He has some shirts from the company line called "Skin". Some of his t-shirts say "skin" on them. Today she pulled him aside and told him not to wear these shirts to school anymore b/c that company is associated with porn and the devil worshipping. She made him put his shirt on inside out. Im frutstrated right now! Son is telling me to leave it alone. If the principal had talked to son, I would have said right on sir, totally get it,,,but he has been wearing these shirts all along, we have two months of school left

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think she was out of line unless there is something in the dress code that addresses this. She shouldn't use her personal issues to make rules out of the blue.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I agree with cindy.

Answer by older at 8:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• When I was in school, my bf wore one that said ceareal killer, and had a goofy skull looking thing, and two spoons crossed, and they said that was innapropriate. I thought it was dumb. I'd call and talk to the principal.
    Anonymous

• have they ever told him off about these shirts before......mayb he knows that he wasn't supposed to wear it in the first place and therefore is not too fussed about it and saying to leave it alone?
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• OP here...since September! 8 months later! If that was in a dress code, you think they would have caught it by now.
    Anonymous

• Personally I have lost ALL respect for the teachers I have been dealing with this year. Can they not do what they are there to do---teacher the kids their school work? Geez was she having a bad day and took it out on him. I've seen too much of that this year, they are way out of line not being able to separate their personal lives and work, bringing their personal trash to school and dumping it on our poor kids! I don't think talking to the principal will do any good, because they stick together! I would give my kid the benefit of the doubt before giving it to the teacher. Nuff said!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• a teacher cant say devil worshiping to a student.....however.... the schools here consider religion to be the same as gangs....kids cant wear anything that may be related to any gang, religion, or belief......
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Oh good the perfect parents with perfect kids are on here tonight. Of course they stick together they have out of controll kids whose parents excuse everything they do
    Anonymous

• I have NEVER heard that I teacher can't say devil worshiping to a student..that is the silliest thing I have ever heard.

It IS the teacher's job to talk to kids about the dress code, it is the teachers that see the kids the most. The principal wouldn't know what was going on it it wasn't for the teachers. Without seeing the shirts and knowing how strict the dress code is, I can't comment on what I would do. The school district my son is in has an EXTREMELY strict dress code and my son has been sent home because his shirt was too long and his pants were too baggy. Until this past summer, my kid had no waist to hold up his pants. The highschool he is going to be in has an even stricter dress code!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I agree with Cindy, too.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010