How the heck are you supposed to get credit?!

Ugh, this has been bugging me for a while and several other people I know. I don't have a credit card, because I don't have any credit. Not that I really want or need one, it's just that I've gotten into discussions with a few people about credit recently and we are all wondering how people are supposed to get credit for things when you have to already have credit to get credit. Does that make any sense? lol Sorry if it doesn't. Anyone have ideas? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I've even been discussing this with some people in their 50s and 60s and they haven't had any ideas.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Paying utility bills on time, getting a car loan or a small loan from your bank and paying on time, paying cell phone bill on time, seeing if you can get a store credit card, like wal-mart and paying that on time
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Anonymous

• I got a secured credit card. Which is basically you put like $250 in the acct. of your own money and the bank gives you a credit card. You are just backing it up but to anyone else it is the same as a regular credit card. then after awhile it will become unsecured. This is what I had to do to build credit.
    cutie222

Answer by cutie222 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My brother helped establish his credit with a Rent-A-Center purchase.
    Anonymous

• Sears used to give a credit card to anyone with a pulse. That's how I got credit.
    Anonymous

• good link. I was going to say get a Home Depot or Lowe's card.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010