Who lives the mom or the unborn child

were do Catholic and other Christian stand on this.
If it was between your life and your unborn child. Who lives and who dies? If you are Catholic what dose the church say.

BOOGIETHEBOOG

Asked by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 8:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just pray that I'm never in a position to make this choice. I really can't say because I've never been there. I'm Catholic and I think that the Church's standing is that innocent life (the baby) takes precedence. It's hard because I'd be leaving behind motherless children, though they'd have an amazing father it's still heart breaking.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The Catholic Church sees abortion as the termination of an innocent, though unborn, life so it is always considered wrong, sinful and immoral. Human life, according to the CC, begins at the moment of conception, at the moment the sperm meets the egg God breaths a soul into that child. Nature, not man, should decide when that life should end, whether it be in the womb, right after birth or 100 years after birth. Now, if a woman is pregnant and has a heart attack for example, it's considered morally permissible to put her under anesthesia and operate to save her life even if the chances of her miscarrying are very high, because the idea is that her body is the one that is naturally ejecting the fetus. Basically if the mother needs medical attention of any kind or her life is at risk it's ok to do that as long as the baby isn't directly killed by the action or purposefully killed during the procedure. con't:
    Anonymous

• con't from above: So it comes down to letting nature take it’s course. Killing an embryo while in the womb or removing an unviable fetus with the intent and purpose to end it’s life is wrong. Treating a life threatening condition that indirectly results in the child dying naturally is tragic but is not considered an abortion. So it’s not a question of one life over the other, it’s not a battle of mother versus child.
    Anonymous

• I don't think any church in their right mind would tell a woman she must die in order to save her baby's life. I think it is an individual decision. As far as every religious woman I know, they all would choose their own child to live over themselves.

Anonymous

• Both- I do not trust doctors enough to believe half the stuff that comes out of their mouths. If it were between me and my unborn child I would still plan to have it. There is no FEAR in LOVE. Hallelujah! Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You gotta understand that from a religous point of view an unborn baby's life has the same value of a 2 yr old, 3 yr old, 5 yr old, etc. So this question is the same as: Who lives the three year old or the mom? I don't know of one mother who, if given the choice, would choose to end her child's life over her own.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 9:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'm atheist, so there is no guidelines here, it's all based on personal opinion.. and that would depend on the situation. I've been in this situation myself. However the unborn was only 12 weeks along, and going to die regardless, so really it was a matter of living or dying over a political opinion. I chose life.

However, say I was 9 months pregnant, and the baby was completely viable, and then I had to choose, that would be a very difficult situation and very different situation, and I believe I would choose the child over my own life.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I personally would like both, but I have three kids so it depends how big the risk. With my first dd I had this decision and I choose the risk, but I had no other kids then. Now I don't know. The risk can cause both the mother and unborn child to die, as well my kids need me.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't allow myself to die in pregnancy if I could stop it, and leave my BORN children motherless. As sad as it would be to lose an unborn baby that I wanted, my DD needs ME MORE. DH and I could always try again down the road for another child.

Anonymous

• I see this question probably every month.. let GOD decide.. don't abort the baby.. maybe he'll give you a miracle & allow both to live.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2010