Does the price of the ring REALLY matter?

I got my engagment ring yesterday. DF let me pick it out and order it myself. It's beautiful and I love it. I can't stop looking at it. To be perfectly honest, DF paid about 50 bucks for it. It's sterling silver and cubic zirconia with a genuine fire topaz in the middle. So it's not a huge diamond, but I don't care. We're trying to save money for the wedding, plus our living expenses and diapers and such for DD. So, I didn't want to shell out a bunch of money for a ring.

Now, here's my issue. An acquaintance of mine found out the cost of the ring and got really mean about it. She said if her boyfriend had given her a 'fake' ring that only cost $50 she would dump his cheap ass and that just proves that DF doesn't love me. So, my question is: does the price of the ring REALLY matter? I thought it was the promise behind the ring that mattered, not the how much he'd spend on me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• That girl is shallow. The ring doesn't matter at all, it's just a symbol. Hell, I went for the first year without having one at all!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 9:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• man i hope price isnt an issue! lol i think as long as you dont care it shouldnt matter
    Anonymous

• The cost of the ring doesn't matter.
    My wedding ring/engagement ring set was on sale for $30.00 when we got it.
    It looks exactly like a very expensive set that I liked, only this is sterling silver and cz rather than platinum and diamonds. I refuse to wear real diamonds because of the horrible conditions the miners are forced to live in.
    I love my ring set and no one has realized that it was a $50.00 set on sale.
    Anonymous

• if yo love it than who cares!!! my husband kepty on trying to get me to buy a larger diamond, but I like dainty little jewelry so I choose the size that I liked the best :) price does not matter to me.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Lots of people get into debt over rings, and then regret that in their marriage because it's so much money they could have spent on a better honeymoon, or home, or just higher priorities than "bling."

Anonymous

• OP here- I knew I couldn't have been the only one that felt like the cost didn't matter. I'd rather spend our money on things our family needs than on a piece of jewelry.
    Anonymous

• the promise behind the ring is definatly more important then the price, but i cant say i dont agree with that girl at all. i would not have been okay with a $50 engagment ring. to me thats not even an engagment ring really. if i was you, i would of waited, had him save up his money and then got a real one when you could afford it. but its not me wearing the ring, its you. im not trying to be a bitch or anything. thats just how i would of felt.
    plus the more expensive the ring is, the nicer it is. my DF bought a $1600 engagment ring first and it was really really nice, i loved it. but the one i really like was $3200, and a year later he bought it for me.. its so beautiful. and i really like showing it off. none of my friends have a nicer one =)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I just don't understand wearing a fake diamond around. I mean why not just wear a real ring you can afford? I'm not trying to be mean, but I just don't understand it... is it for your own satisfaction? or to impress others?

No money doesn't matter, but i still don't get it lol??
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Price doesnt matter, the love behind it does.. Even if a guy can only give u a blow pop ring, as long as his love is real it doesnt matter... Every relationships starts off on a tight budget, your young. that is life...
    THE DIFFERENCE IS .......
    If a man loves you enough to give you a cheap ring & show his real emotion for you- you will MAKE IT THROUGH the cheap years & one day for your 20th ann.. or something he will give you the diamond & gold he could only dream of for years..
    A shallow marriage that worries about the bling may not make it through tougher times..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yes for me the price does matter i wll NOT wear an expensive ring..i rather have a cheap one and save money for more important things like extra money for the honeymoon
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2010