2 1/2 year old daughter is starving herself...

My daughter is 2 1/2. She's always been a very picky eater. Even when she was just on baby food. The only things she will eat is chicken nuggets (only from mcdonalds), pasta, macaroni and cheese, and pizza. She will not eat meat. I've always kinda just given her things I know she'll eat. But it's gotten to the point where she hardly even eats the things she DOES like. We started yesterday being more strict, and putting a meal in front of her and offering it over and over until she eats it, or goes to bed. So since yesterday, all she has eaten is a bowl of cereal, and a piece of toast with peanut butter. She complains that her belly hurts, and I assume its because she is hungry, and will not eat. Please help me, I'm at a loss, and I don't know what to do. I know they say a child will not starve themselves, but you don't understand...she really is. She WONT eat. It really hurts me that she is doing this to herself. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I swear, every freakin' kid that seems to develop this "condition" only eats, Nuggets, mac and cheese, pizza and french fries.

She shouldn't have had those anyway, they aren't healthy.

She will NOT starve herself, 2 year olds can live off WAY less than we think they can.

Put only healthy meats, veggies, whole grains and fruit. My son was picky, but, I kept putting healthy in front of him and eventually, he ate it. But, he was picky about veggies, not horrendous crap food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Ohh, thanks BradenIsMySon...you have opened my eyes, and now I see what the problem is...I had no idea that my daughter wont eat because I am a horrible mother. Thanks...I feel horrible about this, to the point where I am in tears, and instead of being supportive, and trying to help, you just make me feel like complete CRAP. Thank you SO much. Appriciate it. Awesome.
    OP
    Anonymous

• I responded in your othe rpost... hopefully its helpful
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I never called you a bad mom. You do not need to be in tears. She is picky and will only eat that becuase you haven't stood your ground. If you didn't buy it, she wouldn't have a choice. She will not starve herself. She is probably at a point where she is eating less anyway. Either way, I gave you advice, I said put only healthy food in front of her. She will eat it.

And, if you researched this question, someone asks the same thing every hour. And every one of the kids only will eat what yours eats and only a little of it.

I give everyone the same advice.

And...don't let my opinion become your reality. you created the senario, change it. I am a faceless, internet stranger. Don't let my bluntness affect you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Have her checked by a doctor. Sometimes kids won't eat because of medical conditions like reflux.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:14 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You may get mad at me too, but she isn't straving to death. She will something when she's hungry enough. She thinks you will give in first, so what you have is a battle of wills.

I just saw on Good Morning America today that kids only need 1 tablespoon of food for each meal to substain themselves.

Good Luck, really I mean it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I babysit for a little 3 year old boy that is like that.
    I would just stick to what you have started doing yesturday with putting the food in front of her and not giving in. It may take a few days but it will eventually work. BUT DONT GIVE IN. I know it hurts you to see her hungry but this is a battle...one that is going to be harder fo ryou to win than her,trust me.
    She will not literally starve herself to death, especially just over night.
    Maybe try to have her help you prepare and cook part of the meals that you are making. Have her help you pick out healthy items when you go grocery shopping at the store. Over time, these things may really help.
    I wish you the best of luck, I see the struggle the mom I babysit for goes through every day. But she ALWAYS gives in.All he will eat is the chic nugs from mcd's,bread,tator tots and juice..that MUST be in a juicebox, i tried giving it to him in a cup,forget it.lol.GOOD LUCK
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Sorry that was a 1 tablespoon for every year of age.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• if she not underweight i wouldn't worry about it.. chicken is healthy, cheese is healthy.. meat is not a necessary focus on vegetables, beans, milk. she'll eat when she hungry toddlers need very little to live on. your stomach is only as big as your fist. if her stomach keeps hurting please tell her doctor.. only offer her the foods you want her to have she eat eventually. I have three girls ( one baby boy) all my girls did this & it drove me crazy, but I found that if you just say here's dinner & give her what you want her to have, she'll eat it if shes hungry. i would try not to make a big deal out of it if she doesn't eat much she may want the attention even if its negative. I close my kitchen at 8pm if you haven't eaten your dinner by then, you'll have to wait for breakfast.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• She will eat when she's hungry enough. She will not starve herself. Quit offering the unhealthy foods and she will get over it and move on.

Trust me. I've been a mother for 9 years. I have 3 children and another one on the way. I've done this with 2 of my own children and 2 nephews.
    Anonymous