Gardening question

Is it possible to grow vegetables inside? I just don't have too much of a green thumb, so I have no clue. I started tomato & bell pepper plants in my kitchen, will it be enough sun? I live in an apartment building, so I don't have space for an outdoor garden. I really want it to work!

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 9:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• they will need big pots and should probably be in front of a window other than that i dont see why they wouldnt if you are keeping them watered. they might also need some kind of plant food. you might go to a garden section and find one especialy for vegtables
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes, you can do it, but I would strongly suggest getting a plant light, which is basically a full-spectrum light bulb, so that your plants will get the right amount of light that they need (regular lightbulbs aren't so good). Also, make sure you use a potting mix, not a planting mix or garden soil, for in your pots, because you want something lightweight. The pots will need to be roomy for the roots to grow and to prevent the plants from becoming rootbound & you'll need good drainage to avoid root rot. You will need to provide fertilizer since the plants won't be benefitting from natural sun & soil, but follow the directions carefully about when to apply it or you can burn your plants. There are some really good books on container gardening that you could probably find in your local library or bookstore, so you might want to check & see what's available in your area.
    Anonymous

• I encourage you to check out this link. I have not tried this method, but I hear wonderful things about it. If you have a sunny window, you should be able to grow year round.... http://our.windowfarms.org/

Also, another great place to check for ideas and sign up for FREE seeds is The Dinner Garden on Facebook.  Happy gardening.  : ) 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Your plants will grow but you'll get no vegetables no matter how much sun and food they get unless you learn how to hand pollinate the flowers. With tomatoes and peppers it's easy: pick one flower and dab it, stamen to pistil, on another few flowers to transfer the pollen from one to another. You'll sacrifice a few blossoms to pollinate the rest.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• do you have a patio?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2010