BITING?!

My one year old DD is into a "biting mode" She even bit another child at daycare when he took her toy. I'm not sure how to deal with this. Has anyone experienced a biting phase? She has plenty of teeth, but I don't think anymore are coming in at the moment. That was my initial guess. HELP! TIA!

clransom

Asked by clransom at 9:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get eye level with her & say firmly no biting that hurts each time she bites.. if that don't work do that plus give her a one min time out plus tell her no bite, if that don't work gently tap her in the mouth & say no bite.. whatever you do DON'T bite her back.. you'l confuse her after all you did just say no bite.. that means you to
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my 2 year old son bites all the time and i cant figure out how to stop it and i do the eye level thing i have tried many things so if u find something that works please let me know
    hotmami2ajae

Answer by hotmami2ajae at 9:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my method has worked for me .. just be consistent
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• with my DD we put her in her room by herself for a few minutes. she hates it and has learned to say sorry so she can get out early...usually 5 minutes works... but that's b/c she has very few toys in her room, as she took the majority of them into the living room. She hasn't bitten anyone in a month.
    Anonymous

• My dd was a year old when the biting started. First time I told her no, second time she bit my tricep so I took her little arm, bit the top of it but not enough to leave teeth marks. I held it for a few seconds and she started screaming! That was the end of it, now at 2.5 she STILL hasn't attempted to bite. If anyone comes near her with their teeth (even playfully) she screams "NO BITING!!! IT HURTS!!!". Oh, that tricep bite also left a bruise that covered my whole upper arm, drew a little blood, and I had people asking if I was abused at home. If DH hadn't been deployed at the time I'm sure he would have been in trouble! Many people say "don't bite back" but it's worked for me, my mother and the friends I have who did! I had a few friends with older kids (2-3) who started biting but as soon as they were bitten back it ended the biting. It's up to you... You are the mother, this is what worked best for me!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my son was the same way when he was 18 mos. After saying a million time as firmly as we did. he didn't stop. but he did it because he wanted attention. We were told to bite back as mean as trhat sounded to us. not hard to really hurt him but hard enough to scare him. and let him know how much that hurts. After my daughter bit him back he never bit any one again.(Who would of known. )
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• thanks for all the advice guys! really appreciate it! hope it helps, i'm going to try and see what works, and i'll def. be consistent. getting daddy to be will be harder...:)
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 6:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010