Am I really getting that old? Or is this actually inappropriate?

I am 24 BTW.
I went to my little sister's high school dance concert last night and three of the songs that the girls danced to seemed very inappropriate for high school girls to be dancing to. The songs were "Birthday Sex", "Hotel Room", and "Say ahh".
The first one is obviously about sex, the second is about meeting people at a club and taking them back to your hotel room for sex, and the last is about getting drunk at a club before leaving to have sex.
To me that seems highly inappropriate for 14, 15, and 16 yr olds to be shaking their stuff to on stage in their high school.

What do you ladies think? Am I just getting old and out of touch? Or were those poor choices made by their dance teacher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• totally inappropriate.... and what is worse is when the 8-10 yr olds are dancing to sexy songs.

I understand that it is the beat and tempo of the music that they are wanting/needing for the dance... but Im sure there is a way to get the music with out the lyrics.

Anonymous

• Yeah, It may be a little over the top for a concert. Even if the girls are older. The teacher didn't think very clearly.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Now a days that is common. That is weird for a school to approve of that though.
    That seems very sexual for them to be performing to. Especially if the dance moves fit the song. The teacher should have made better choices.
    The girls probably loved it, they would feel sexy and such. But they are too young to realize how inappropriate that is.

You should write the principal....
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I agree that is bad... but not nearly as bad as the 4 and 5 yr olds I saw recently dancing to a song about a threesome!! Although in their teachers defense at least those kids didn't understand the lyrics of the song they were dancing to. Still creepy though.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 9:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my little nieces have been dancing since they were able to walk, they are 10 and 12 now and from when they started dancing up til now they have played inappropriate rap and pop songs for the girls to dance to at their shows. they pick the songs with the best beats to dance to and most rap and pop songs are sexual or violent. that's just the way it is and it's not about to change. i'm 20 and i hate that kind of music and i hate that kids dance to it but thats just the way it is
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'm 24 as well, and I feel that it is inappropriate. What they listen to in their free time is up to their parents, but at a school function, it is not only inappropriate, but highly unprofessional for a teacher to pick those songs. There are plenty of songs out there with a good beat that aren't going to be kicking their hormones into hyper-drive lol.Darn whipper-snappers! haha sorry had to say it!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• very inappropriate.. & your still young.. if I was you I would get all the parents who agree & go complain to the principle so this doesn't happen again..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Its a little over the top but also remember that most kids at 15 and 16 are already sexual active and know more about sex than we want to believe, for a school function they should have kept it PG13 but you gotta realize these girls shake there money maker like that everywhere else listening to those songs.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Wow, that is very inappropriate. If I were a parent I would be outraged!
    Anonymous

• its not that ur old. thats the way it is these days.
    why is everything so sexualized?
    StrongYoungMom

Answer by StrongYoungMom at 11:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2010