Anyone have a baby with a lazy eye?

My friend's 9-month-old has a lazy eye. He has to wear a helmet because his skull is misshapen from sleeping on one side, and now they're trying to see what needs to be done about his eye. The eye doc dilated it it today to see inside, but said he needs to do it again, this time for 3 DAYS! My friend wants to avoid that if possible. Has anyone been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My mom and 2 cousins have a lazy eye, they all wear contacts or glasses. No patches when they were little. No "fixing" it. it straightens when they wear glasses or contacts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with a lazy eye at 13 months old. He just has to wear glasses until he is about 10. For the first month of wearing glasses because he was a baby it was hard keeping them on but after that he realized he needed them and kept them on after that.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 10:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• They don't do the patch anymore? I thought they put patches on the good eye, forcing the bad eye to work. It's a very simple and cheap solution to a lazy eye.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• They want to dilate the eye because they want to see if his vision is ok in that eye, apparently. They said they'd use the patch if his vision is ok, or maybe it was they would do surgery if his vision is ok, and the patch if it's weak, can't remember.... but they didn mention possible surgery.

OP
    Anonymous

• My son did but not that young, we noticed it around 1 1/2, it was pretty dramatic he went from normal looking to one eye being completely crossed in about a week. Basically we didn't know he was having trouble seeing and his brain quit using both eyes together. His eyes were dilated at some of his appointments to check them. He needed glasses and we tried patching in addition to the glasses, but he wouldn't leave the patch on no matter how hard we tried. So then the doctor had us dilate his "good" eye continuously for several weeks in order to force him to use his "bad" eye. We think that was too much because his brain switched eyes and the previously "good" eye has been the one that crosses ever since. They haven't suggested patching his eyes since then and the glasses are helping his eyes to stay pretty straight most of the time. He has bifocals which he will need until he's a teenager and he will need glasses all his life.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I remember wearing a patch for my lazy eye. I don't remember many tests, that sounds extreme, but then again I was young.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 12:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2010