when is it safe to put a baby in a pool?

my son is 2 months old and im sure that is too young.
but around what age would you say it is "ok" to put a baby in a pool with chlorine?

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say 6 months. My son was born in the late summer so he didn't see a pool until he was almost 12 months but I would have taken him a bit earlier if the weather were warmer.
    Anonymous

• the same age you put him in a tub. Two months is not to young for you to hold him in a pool.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i agree with mamak. just make sure to rinse his body off with gentle soap afterwords so the chlorine doesn't dry or irritate his skin.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My 11 month old was in a pool before he was a month old. My 2 year old was a little over a month old. My 8 year old was 4 months.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• mama57... the chlorine isn't too harsh at that age?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would be nervous to expose their skin so early. Besides, don't you start giving them baths as NEWBORNS?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It depends on the pool. If it's your own pool then you can put a young baby in as long as the baby doesn't get chilled. A month old baby could go in a warm, not hot, pool you trusted.

The baby pool at public pools can be bad ideas. If you want to use them I would go first thing in the morning. The two things to worry about are the baby getting too cold and the water quality.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• the chlorine didnt irritate their skin??
    i have pretty sensitive skin and the chlorine bothers me sometimes, so i just assumed that it would irratate my sons 2 month old skin
    momma_2b_2010

Answer by momma_2b_2010 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• well the pool i was thinking about was a hotel pool because were going to the tropicana hotel this weekend
    momma_2b_2010

Answer by momma_2b_2010 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The chlorine can be good for baby's skin. One of the things suggested for babies that have horrible eczema is to take baths in bleach, chlorine, water that is similar to a pool. If the chemicals are done right it won't hurt the baby's skin. If it's not your pool you can rinse the baby off in the shower.

It's funny that people are worried about a little bit of chlorine in a huge pool yet they use all kinds of dangerous chemicals directly on their baby's skin and don't even question what they are doing.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I took our oldest as soon as the pools opened memorial day weekend so she was about 2.5 months I think? She did great and is still our little water baby! :D Our youngest we didn't take until she was older but we were busy trying to just get her healthy lol. She got to go swimming for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it too.. Now I have TWO water babies! :D
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010