OK I have finished reading many things on the path to the craft. I'm at the part now where it says to start a Book of shadows and continue my research...

How ever it does not explain how. Any advise towards my creating this?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I use a 3 ring binder and those clear page covers. Then I simply use parchment paper or computer paper and either write or print out the information I want... I have it seperated in to different areas. 1 for History, 1 for Sabbats, 1 for spells... And so on. I have a "magickal record" that I fill out to go along with each spell to record how things went, when I did it and any other tidbits and I keep those in there as well.

A BOS is a personal thing though, you can use a binder, a notebook, or a big professionally made BOS or you can just keep it electronically. It's all up to you. The point is that you keep it.

I also recommend keeping a Book Of Mirrors, which is even more personal. It's a place to record dreams, meditations and scryings for later reflection. Again, you could use anything, but I tend to recommend just a regular journal for this...

PM me if you have questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Write down any spells that you have success with, history things (Sabbats and whatnot), information about deities you study, color, herb and stone correspondences, rituals you write, a book blessing if you chose to put one in, etc.

You can use anything for your BOS. I love my 3-ring binder. I keep all my stuff in the sheet protectors in my binder. A BOS is ALWAYS a work in progress. Anything you think is important to you and your study and practice of the Craft can go in your BOS.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Write down the reasons you think Wicca is your path. What does being a Pagan mean to you? What do you hope to achieve and learn? What do you fear about following this path? How do you see the Goddess and God? What does the Divine mean to you? Be absolutely honest with yourself here, this is a private book and nobody else will ever read it. This notebook will help you design your dedication/self-initiation ritual and eventually evolve into your Book of Shadows.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 11:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The BOS is just a workbook much like a study notebook or a Sunday school workbook. It's where you keep your notes, thoughts and ideas about the various things you are learning about or studying. There is no set way to keep one. Just do what works for you and over time, it will change. If you don't know what works for you, just start with a notebook. Write down whatever you feel you need to keep or want to learn, or the books you've read or the questions that occur when you read or the dreams you've had or just any ole random thought that occurs to you. Just write.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I use a binder as to rearrange should I need to. I also have an heirloom BOS that will be passed down to my children and grandchildren. I put in some spells and thoughts and will leave room for the new owners of my BOS to do the same if they want.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Well I say get in-tuned with yourself. Find out what you need to change in your life right now. Start simple.

For example: if you are having a hard time with someone at work and you want to have peace...You "do your research" by looking up herbs and/or crystals whose properties restore peace. Find out what colors, moon phase, timing, day that will be beneficial to your situation. Search for spells or right your own.

Personal experience is the best teacher.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I use a 3 ring binder with 3 spiral notebooks inside it, each book is marked with what is in them.
    My first book is basically the Rede, the reasons I am who I am (thoughts en such)
    My animal totems, history of my pagan path (Celtic) and the Goddess/Gods of that set path...
    I also have a Altar chart that I used in my beginnings along with Moon phases, charts and other
    basic information when first starting out...
    My second book has all my Spells and *notes as to how they worked, what I used, when I used them and why
    My third book is basic herbal/more chart information with a few thrown in Spells, color charts, Charkra charts, etc...
    I am working on another binder that will hold as many books and become an extension to my current one and I
    know that these will continue to grow in volumes as I do with my learning and workings...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have a HDOS (hard drive of shadows).

Your "BOS" can be anything you want it to be. My friend and mentee (as in, I'm mentoring her) has a big ol' plastic file with cardboard dividers. And that's what works for her.

Some choose to go to a Metaphysical store ad pick out a fancy journal. Some get a notebook from Wal-mart.

To each his/her own.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• A book of shadows is a diary of both your life as a wiccan, and your spells and how they have worked or failed. Mine is a spiral-bound notebook (the cover is purple, my favorite color) and I either write in long-hand or cut and paste typed diary entries. You can use it like a scrapbook, if you like. I have added illustrations and photos to it that I particularly like. I have made leaf prints from trees and plants and have dried flowers for decorations. Your BOS is a personal thing and there is no ONE way to do it. The right way to make one is YOUR way.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2010