would staying in water help labor pain?

I am few weeks away from delilvery. This is my second child. Once my water breaks I was wondering if jumping in a warm water would help my pain during contraction. I really do not want to rush to the hospital and get all hooked up with drugs. I do not have any complications so far. I would love to do water delivery but we do not have facilities. . Any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know, i've never had a water birth, but I know I HATE swimming when i'm pregnant because of all the pressure on my stomach. I think I would be uncomfortable!
    Anonymous

• I've heard water does wonder for pain, at the same time, I've heard that it can also increase your risk of infection once your water breaks...so I'm kind of torn on whether or not it's a good idea.

I do know lots of mamas choose to labor at home for a while, just taking a warm shower, or doing other comforting things before getting to the hospital or birthing center. Not a bad idea, so long as you get to where you want to deliver on time.
    Anonymous

• haha anon there is A LOT less water pressure in a bathtub than in a pool......... the bath won't make it less painful but it will relax you
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes, hot water does help ease the pain of contractions. Many hospitals offer birthing tubs and showers for just this reason! I spent hours in the shower when I was in back labour with my first- it was heaven! My only advice with a second child is not to hang around at home for too long, because second labours can be much quicker than first labours- my first was twelve hours long, my second only four hours, and I was only at the hospital for about one of those! HTH- lots of luck to you with your delivery and your new baby!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i hear you on this one.... I think it would be more comfortable. Doctors will tell you to stay out of water once your water breaks because of increased risk of infection, but studies I've read show that water does not enter the birth canal. In my case, I actually had ruptured membranes (a LEAK) for a week before I got checked, and i was in the bath every night and never showed any signs of infection. Of course, when I went into the hospital, I didn't get to have another bath for the next 3 weeks!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• if there was a risk of infection being in water after the water breaks then why do so many women have water births....just a taboo, nothing more
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It's perfectly safe and it CAN help with pain. Birthing tubs are called the "midwife's epidural" because it can reduce pain so dramatically.

As long as your bath is clean and it's a clear water bath (i.e. no soap) than it's perfectly fine.

You are at less risk of getting an infection in a tub than you are of getting an infection from multiple vaginal checks at the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Thats why they have birth pools. I found taking warm baths helpful in the early stages of labor, but it only helps up to a point.
    potterpeaches

Answer by potterpeaches at 11:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• YES!! OMG laboring in water was the best!! Little tip- if you're worried about infection (literally almost no risk) add some betadine to the water and that will kill and bacteria in the water so you can safely labor in there after your water breaks. :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I gave birth at a birthing center, I had use of a birthing tub, it was OK early on but when it came to push I wanted to get the hell out of there and the midwife said that was commen since the water could create pressure against pushing or something (not 100% sure what the explanation was, I was in the middle of a drug free labor so I did not hear very well LOL) but the early stages I found it to be only somewhat helpfull. I personally was a fan of walking and squatting and the big ball more then the water tho.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 12:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2010