My little shoplifter....

is 7 years old and she is stealing. It is sooo embarrasing. I don't know what else to do. Today we were at the mall and we went into claires. She asked to go look at the sunglasses so I said yes. Anyways I make my purchase and we go to the bathroom and out comes this ring. I said where did you get that from and she started crying. She stole it. Then we went to target and again she stole a necklace, but this time we didn't get out the door because of the security system. I made her take the ring in and give it back to the lady as I did with the necklace but I don't know what to do to make this behavior stop. Please HELP

chloesmama_2007

Asked by chloesmama_2007 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, any idea where she learned it? I don't think kids come up with something like that on their own.... Sorry, I've never experienced this. Wish I could be of more help, but I would say you've done the right thing by having her take it back, and she should have to apologize, too....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• a friend of mine did this -- and I plan on doing it to if I ever have too...

When her son stole something from Krogers... the next time they went to a store she made him wear a sign that said " Watch Me, I steal" ...that was 3 years ago and he never stole again .......at one store a man even came up to her and got out his wallet and showed her a pic of his daughter who had a similar sign on lol....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would call a police officer and talk to them about it. Maybe her school has a resource officer that can talk to her and scare her into stopping it. I personally would give her a HORRIBLE punishment so she gets the message. My oldest hates cleaning, so when he gets in huge trouble he get hours of cleaning. When he is doing the cleaning I stand over him and lecture him about why he is stuck cleaning while his friends and siblings get to go out and play. It works everytime for us.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 11:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• "When her son stole something from Krogers... the next time they went to a store she made him wear a sign that said " Watch Me, I steal" ...that was 3 years ago and he never stole again .......at "

Bahahahahaha! OMG... that is the funniest thing I have ever read! I am so doing that if this ever comes up in our family.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 11:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Hmm tough one. I'm really surprised she stole something again right after you had just caught her! I don't know if this would work or not but what if you hid something of hers that she really likes? Like a doll or something? Just something she's really attached to. Then when she comes looking for it just say you think someone stole it. Maybe it would teach her a lesson?
    Anonymous

• Haha I think the sign wearing thing is great!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• When I was younbger my Momused to make me apolgize to the store employee for stealing. It worked, I don't steal!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• When my brother was a teenager, he stole a cassette tape (yes this was 30 something years ago!!) from a music store. When my mom & dad found it & found out he stole it, they took him back to the store to confess & return it & then he had to write "Thou shalt not steal" 500 times.

If your daughter were mine, anytime I realize she has stolen from a store, I would immediately march her back in to return it & to apologize. Then when we got home, she'd be getting the butt beating of her life. That's one thing we do not tolerate in our home, stealing, or lying. Both will result in a mighty sore rear end.
    Anonymous

• this may sound over the top, but I'd take her to the police station and have her talk to the cops. let them tell her what happens to people who shop lift. It may scare her enough to not do it
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 12:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I like the idea of the sign!!

I remember being so embarrased when I was like 12. My friend was stealing and stole a pair of sunglasses for me. I told my mom and she made me go give them back to the store. It was awful and I wasnt even the one who stole them. The store watched me for the rest of the shopping trip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2010