Has anyone weaned their child cold turkey?

I'm considering it. Please, if you have done it, let me know how your child reacted. My daughter just turned one. I know i should gradually wean her, but I've tried numerous times to cut out feedings and either I give in or she cries and cries. She used to feed 8 times a day or more. Now we are down to 4-5. I want to possibly quit cold turkey during the day and just nurse her to sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can't handle her crying for cutting out a feeding, how are you going to handle her crying for stopping cold turkey? I'm not trying to be rude at all, I can tell you want to do what's best. Any reason you want to stop now? I know it's rare, but the recommendation IS 2 years.... maybe she would be more ready then?
    Anonymous

• have you tried giving her solid foods before you start nursing? that way she won't want as much? also instead of cutting feedings...cut down the time of each feeding.
    I wouldn't do cold turkey, because you'll have a distressed child and some sore tatas!!! lol
    best of luck! xoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:07 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• she might be ready at 2 years, she might be ready at 4 years. but i'm ready now. it feels like its time for me to stop. we had a great head start, great bonding. i just want it to be over with. i hate when people (family, friends, etc) make those comments about her being" too old for the tit." its annoying, and i find myself hiding to breastfeed her, to escape criticism.
    Anonymous

• u'll end up in a lot of pain and possibly a breast infection. Also there is no reason to wean at 12mo. I nurse my children till at LEAST 24mo. Here is a link to more info on nursing past 12mo
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    Anonymous

• go to an LLL meeting. there u will find plenty of support from other moms
    Anonymous

• It's not reccomended because it can cause bad breast pain. I read that it was better to do it by gradually replacing feeds. That said I have heard that going cold turky is the only thing that worked for some babies.
    potterpeaches

Answer by potterpeaches at 11:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I have quit cold turkey with both of my children. I also tried the cutting out feedings and had the same problems you are having with it. Cold turkey is the only way to go for me, but there are some key points to getting through it.
    1-do not give your child anything else to drink other than milk or whatever you are replacing your nursing feedings with, i had milk available for my son to drink 24/7. At first he refused it, but he was finally thirsty enough that he drank it (he was 16 months and has only been weaned for a month)
    2-make sure you have a pump to release a tiny amount to ease your pain. I was in so much pain that i could barely make it through, but with massaging it and being able to release some helped me not get mastitis. First I would pump only the necessary every 12 hours, then i went 18, then 24, then just didnt do it anymore. Took me about a week and a half of pain, but with motrin, (cont. below)
    TCwilson

Answer by TCwilson at 1:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• cabbage leaves, and a pump i made it through.
    3-I would HIGHLY suggest that if you are gonna do it cold turkey, that you completely wean. Don't even nurse to sleep. In this case, make sure you are completely ready to wean. I was and i am glad i did when i did.

For me, weaning this way for both my kids worked. I will do it this way again if i have any more children. I hope you get the help and support you need. It is painful for just over a week, but doable. Just be careful to not get mastitis, cuz that is horrible! Send me a message if you have any more questions or need some support with this. Good luck!
    TCwilson

Answer by TCwilson at 1:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• careful though. I remember when my mom tried to ween my sister, she went on hunger strikes. I think she ended up nursing her till she was two.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 1:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I am a true believer in allowing the child to self wean. By age one though you can control when and how the nursing is going to take place. I didn't drop feedings I made it a rule that the solid food had to be eaten first. Breakfast lunch and snacks. If you can't eat you can't nurse was our rule. When she was old enough to understand the ules also included only nursing at home. I think around age 18m-2y for most of them. By age 2 and a half I stopped offering but they were allowed to ask. Only one of my kids weaned before age 3 the rest were between ages 4-6.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 10:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010