What would you say to a friend who was wanting to find a church?

MY SIL grew up in a church. As she got older she got into trouble and left God. She hit her bottom and has noticed God has always been there for her. The problem is her mom no longer attends her childhood church and she feels lost.

I am Catholics and her brother converted years ago. She doesn't want to go to a Catholic Church. I am glad she found her way back to Jesus and wants to return to church but I really don't know how to help her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Tell to start attending different churches and pray about it. You always have to gain your own testimony/witness of the truth of a church. You have to know for yourself that that's the church God wants you to go to. It's not about what we like, it's about finding His true gosple and teachings on this earth. Pray about it and He'll let her know.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i agree sandypops, I said a rosary for her today. I want to help, I just dont know of any other churches
    Anonymous

• just have her find out what her beliefs are and then look for a church who follows similar beliefs..dont force her to go to a specific church if she doesnt want to. but i would say best bet would be a non denominational church. i went to one while in high school and enjoyed it...it was more layed back and i got to meet all different kinds of people good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Does she know the denomination of the church she grew up in? If she does she could just start visiting local Churches that are in the same denomination. OR she could take the beliefnet quiz to see what denomination she is closer in beliefs with.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Check out many before settling on one. They are all so different.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• forget the beliefnet test its not the best...

She needs to ask God where to go and He will lead her there. meanwhile ask her to start reading the book of John! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Try "high church" episcopalian.

It will have the same feel, without being Catholic.
    Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 3:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• she grew up AOG for some reason she doesn't want to be part of that denomination. As for a church that is close to Catholic, she doesn't want anything to do with that either. I know my husband was spoon fed a lot of anti Catholic propaganda when he went to the church. You can imagine the shock and horror when he married a Catholic IN a Catholic church and worse converted!

I don't know what to say to her. I have been mostly silent when she talks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'd have to be honest and tell them they are asking the wrong person. Nature is my "church".
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2010