Flying with a toddler!

We live in Chicago and planing to fly to see my parents in Dallas TX. I am worrying how my 13 month old son going to handle the flight. Me personally have a problem with my ears popping through out the entire flight so I chew a gun. What if my son will have the same thing. Please can you give some advises how to help him to have the smoother flight. Please tell me your stories about your experience with flying with kids.

MomOfMax359

Asked by MomOfMax359 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have flown at least twice a year since my kids were born (now 15, 13, 9) and when they were very little I gave them a bit of cough syrup to fall asleep. I know there are some women on this site who are all freaked out every time I say that but what the hell. My kids are rarely sick and they slept through the flight and all was good. When they were old enough to entertain themselves I didnt bother. So you can take a page from my book... I flew so often that by 3/4 yrs old the kids had their own frequent flier numbers.... or you can listen to the worry warts who tell you that my honors classes, club athlete kids are permanently damaged from what I did.

Anonymous

• Does he nurse, suck on a bottle or a pacifier? Sucking will help. I personally wouldn't do what the PP did, but that's up to you.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• You can bring a couple of sippie cups or bottles on the flight. You just have to fit them in a ziploc baggie. Wait to give it to him til lift off time. Also distract him with some simple new toys...little tubs of playdoh(packed in a ziploc baggie in your carry on) maybe a new thomas the train (there is a great fold-n-go set at toys-r-us...you may be able to find it at target) it's the smallest little circle track that folds in half and comes with one train....it's perfect for the food tray on a plane. Or maybe a new lightning mcqueen car. Bring a few snacks of your own so you don't have to wait for your "bag of pretzles" or pay $6.00 for a sandwich on the flight. Don't let him have the new toys til after take-off. This will help pass time. Maybe a coloring book too. As for the ear popping,my 3yr old did great. I did give him a piece of gum to chew just at take off and landing, and he did fine with it. Or he can eat a snack.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• depending on how long the flight is you can have your pediatrician prescribe a mild sedative. Otherwise the pp post had good ideas.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 1:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• a portable DVD player or laptop is great for the 'final stretch' WE fly very few years from England to the USA and that is a LONG FLIGHT. When our kids where under 3 I would nurse then during take off. Sippy cups toys and books would keep them busy for the first half. Then they would kind of doze off and when they woke up ready to run I would turn on a movie. I has been a couple of years since I have traveled with a child under the age of 3 though.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 10:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I haven't flown with our toddler, but my close friend is a flight attendant and also has a toddler! She says definately bring a portable DVD player (headphones are great, if your child will wear them) if you can - if you don't have one, see if you can borrow one. Lolly pops are great to suck on during take-off and landing. Bring crayons, small new toys, and any comfort items. Just be sure to watch carefully with the lolly pops. OH! And ice cubes, though sometimes messy, are always fun when they bring the drinks out ;-)
    Good luck! Best wishes!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2010