she doesn't really sleep anymore...

my 6 week old daughter has slept for maybe a total of 5 hours throughout the day (from 5 am until now). Is this a phase.... or is she just a very perky kid??? Is it healthy for a baby to be up this much when they are so young?? (Her 2 mo. doctor appt. is coming up soon- I am just wondering if you all had any experience with a very awake kid)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is almost 3 months and started that too at 6 months. shes back to sleeping some but other days shes up all day not one nap.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 11:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Your daughter has discovered that there is a whole big world around her; that there's more to life than mommy, eating, and sleeping. It can be frustrating, especially when you're exhausted and you know your baby is tired. The general rule of thumb is to put the baby down to sleep after 1-2 hours of wakefulness. When my son was a baby, the only way I could get him to sleep in the daytime during the 6-10 week old wakeful phase was to put him in his swing and turn on the vacuum. hehe Most babies begin consolidating their night sleep around 8 weeks old. They being developing the morning nap around 3 months old and the afternoon naps around 4-5 months old. A great book is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Mark Weissbluth. It reads very much like a text book, but it goes in depth on the different sleep phases a baby goes through and what you can do to help your baby sleep.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010