National Day of Prayer...

Just so everyone know...IT WAS NOT CANCELLED!! OBAMA DID NOT CANCEL IT!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/prayerday.asp

Had to vent! It has started on Facebook posts and is driving me nuts! I don't like a lot that he has done, but please people quit posting lies!

Do you know what snopes is?

Soniam301

Asked by Soniam301 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Let me preface my statement with the fact that I am an athiest and practice no religion. Having said this, who gives a flying flip if we have a national day of prayer? It is not like anyone is forced to pray or it is supporting a particular religion. If we are going to ban this day based on the separation of church and state we better remove Christmas and Easter from the federally recognized holiday list. It doesn't get anymore christian than those two holidays. While we are at it we may as well get rid of St. Valentines Day and St. Patricks Day. Both of these holidays originated in the churches. I think our courts and the White House have much more significant things to worry about than this.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I know I have been reading it in statuses all day...UGH!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It irritates me when people pass stuff on without verifying it. I just posted a question about this the other day! LOL! It's SO easy to find out if somethings true or not, and we ALL know how much BS goes around, so when people see something that they think is amazing/wonderful/horrible, WHY doesn't it occur to them to find out?? When it comes to politics, we blame the press for giving us biased information--but then people are passing this stuff around! I'm not an obama supporter, but whenever I read someone's FB status about how bad he is and "pass this on" I go do some reading and never end up passing it on.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You will always see stuff like that involving any president.That was on FB this is cm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/15/wisconsin.court.prayer/

This is probably why they thought that stuff.....technically not cancelled, but definitely caught up in controversy
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• ...Didn't hear about that one ... but then I get all my news from Conservative talk radio and Fox News, so I guess false rumors wouldn't come my way.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• This is probably why they thought that stuff.....technically not cancelled, but definitely caught up in controversy

Key word being technically. We can all hope and cross our fingers that the ruling survives the appeals process so they finally DO cancel it once and for all. That has to be one of the most discriminatory observances going on in this day and age - nothing like forcing everyone in a workplace to declare their religion or lack of one or else force them to play along with something they don't believe in lest their employers hold it against them. It should never have been allowed in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Interesting NP~
    I have been in the workforce for years and I have NEVER been forced to participate in this day. In fact I didn't even know about The National Day of Prayer until I started going to church on a regular basis. I have worked in many different places in different states.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have been in the workforce for years and I have NEVER been forced to participate in this day.

Well then obviously, since it's never happened to you it must never happen? I've never had cancer, that must not exist either.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I didn't mean it to offend you, I was just curious about it... I was not saying it never happened just that I have never personally seen it happen. So I just wanted to know your exerience with it....

But thanks for putting me in my place.... :P
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2010