How do I fix this?

My credit score is a whopping 537, and thats HORRIBLE. I only have one credit card, it went into collections a while ago. My total debt (besides student loans which are still being accured) is 2900. Should I pay it all off and then work on keeping everything current? How do I do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, the best way to have good credit is to pay off your bills and make sure you pay them on time. They look at the amount of available credit compared to how much is owed and how older your accounts are. Check your credit report and make sure there aren't any errors on it, too. Check out the three credit bureaus for helpful hints.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It is important that you pay your bills on time. Once a bill is 30 days or more late it shows on your credit report. A collection is even worse. So just keep paying everything on time. Do not miss a payment at all. Pay the minimum if you have to. After 6 months check your credit. The best website to do this is annualcreditreport.com. In fact this is the website that the government had the 3 credit reporting agencies to establish when you became entitled to one free copy per year. You still have to pay for your score, though. Over time, the bad will get further behind you and the good track you have established will start paying off.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2010