What do I do?!!

My son is 8 months old and is going through some serious stranger anxiety. In the store the other day, and old man started talking to him and he sat there with a serious face for about 2 minutes, then turned his head like he was trying to hide and started screaming bloody murder. When I finally got him calmed down, some lady came up and started talking to him and he started it all over again. Well my sisters wedding is on the 30th of this month and I am in it. My fiance is going to hold our son during the actual wedding, but we need a babysitter for the reception because apparently children aren't allowed to come. He usually goes to sleep around 8 or 9pm so approx. 3 hours he will be awake with a sitter. A good family friend of ours said she would watch him, she has alot of experience with babies, but I am so worried because he doesn't know her! I have no other options and I feel terrible about leaving him with a stranger!

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, try to get him to spend some time with her first.
    My son always looks to me for reassurance when someone new is around. It is like he is checking my reaction and body language to see if it is okay or not. I always try to make a big deal about hugging people or saying hi to people in the store with a big smile so he'll feel more comfortable. You may be unconsciously anxious in these situations now because you are worried what his reaction will be, try to stay relaxed and see if he follows suit.
    However, some babies just have more stranger anxiety. Maybe you could talk to your sister about him staying with you at the wedding. If it is her wedding and her nephew she should be able to accomodate. I can't imagine banning a baby from a wedding, we had 20 kids at ours!
    Maybe you could nip out to put him to bed and then go back to the wedding? Good luck.
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 2:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Take him to visit her so he can get used to her

Answer by admckenzie at 12:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• This may seem silly but if I sing a song like twinkle twinkle with another person my DD would quickly warm up to them. In fact she was a sucker for anyone singing a tune...worth a shot.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I would start spending time with her now so he can get used to her. It might take a couple weeks for him to warm up. If you can, visit her every couple days or so and stay with him. Then try leaving for 30mins and see how he does. Harper was very attached to me and when I started school I was so anxious about how she'd do at day care. We went over a couple times and her first day without me was a breeze!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I agree with the others, take him to visit her before the wedding. Let him try to warm up to her.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2010