PCOS - havent had my period in 6 months......

do I need to go to my Dr...and if so what will they do

* I have skipped once or twice before, but never this long, and I am sure I am not pregnant.*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Go to the doctor. There might be a problem and the sooner you find out the better.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• You n eed to go to the dr. my sister has PCOS and she goes months without periods. She is supposed to be on birthcontrol and another medicine, but she doesn't take them. If you don't take care of it it can lead to cancer. And if you ever want to have kids (or more kids) it will work better when you are on medications. And another bonus... I don't know if you are over weight or not.. But my sis is, and whenever she is on her meds she loses weight like crazy!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have PCOS. Your Dr should run some blood tests to measure your hormone levels. They may look for cysts on your ovaries via ultrasound, mine did not. You may benefit from taking Metformin. It's an "off label" drug often prescribed for PCOS and is made for diabtes. A lot of Dr's will put PCOS sufferers on the pill, but that does not eliminate the PCOS, just makes you have a period. Don't let anyone scare you, you can still have kids. I got pregnant with PCOS before any treatments. My 2nd pregnancy was after taking Metformin. Chaste tree berry extract is also helpful as it helps regulate the pituatary gland. That's what I am currently taking and so far, so good.

And visit soulcysters.com!  It is my favorite place to go for anything PCOS related.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• YES. Definitely go to your doctor.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 3:42 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• were you officially diagnosed with pcos? if so, what has your dr. told you?
    have you googled alternative cures for pcos? it is worth a shot!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• yes I was diagnosed with it in 2007 ( after I had my first child - I now have 2) .......I had to switch Drs because of insurance and the one I have now ( and cant change) basically told me almost every woman he sees has it and there is nothing he can do about it....
    Anonymous