anybody else have chinchillas or a chinchilla? advice please

i just got one today and they said they had him for a year but never were sociable with him!(make me mad..y even have one if u dont wanna play with it) any ways i am thinking of getting another one for him to have a mate..i am also gonna try to get him to trust me..should i get another or no??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Pets

• usually with small animals like that, you can socialize them without getting a "friend"...they may become nasty towards each other, then what? it's tough. It was nice enough of you to save the poor little thing from useless "owners"...I would google it and see....also, IF you do get another one, be sure to go to your local shelter/SPCA...you'd be surprised the little critters they have :) just don't buy from a petstore. ick.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• o no i wont by them from any pet stores! heck no!! i just posted add up on my newspaper website seeing if anyone had a female..i dont trust petstores when getting a pet! i will dif. look into my local shelters!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• First off you do realize they can live from 15 - 20 yrs? I had gotten a couple yrs ago, that I knew the previous owner had had for 2 yrs, thinking they are a rodent and don't live long. Was after I got them that I did my research, lol. Anyways, take some time with your little one, socialize him one on one, so he becomes comfortable with you, before worrying about bringing in another chin to keep him company. When you do, I would suggest if possible to have them in separate cages near each other so they can adjust that way, before putting them together. Give them about a week and then slowly for short time periods allow them out together to see how they react. Good luck. They are some of the neatest rodents around,. with their soft little paws, and their beautiful fur. Oh and their babies when you do get that far, are born looking like gerbils, open eyes and hopping around. Now I'm really missing mine :(
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 11:04 PM on May. 5, 2010