Do they have to be on whole milk?

When dd turned a year, I was told she could have 2% milk. We tried whole but she wouldn't drink any of it! She never lost weight and was still on a good curve, but whenever really drank much milk either. Did I ruin her or am I just paranoid (again)? I know they say it's needed for the fat content and that leads to developing the brain... She's ahead of the curve still, no delays but I can't help but wonder!!! Anyone else gve they're 1 yr old 2% instead of whole?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i dont think it makes that much of a differenace..my daughter loved milk, so i never had that problem, maybe you could try making it up by givng fullfat yogurt, and cheese etc..my sister gave my niece 2%, and holy crap she is like the smartest kid i have ever met!! sooo..as long as youre not cutting the fat out of everything your daughter eats, like no lowfat, or nonfat stuff... all should be good!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Kids under age 2 should drink whole milk for the dietary fats needed for normal growth and brain development.

When your little one is 2, you can probably make the switch to low-fat or nonfat milk, but talk with your doctor before switching.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'm sure I'll be attacked for being a crazy fringe person, but no, I don't think milk is necessary for growth or brain development at all. Think about the animal kingdom, do any other mammals drink another mammals milk? No. Do any of them drink milk at all beyond their own mother's in infancy? Nope. Milk is not necessary for growth and development. My DD has never had milk aside from my own and she has been in the 99th percentile for height and weight since she was born. But then again, she has consistently had my breastmilk.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I think whole milk is better for kids until 2, but my oldest would never drink anything but skim - and I sympathize with him because that's all I can drink due to mouth feel. We just don't like whole milk. I did make sure he got fats from other sources, because it is very important, but 2% is better than skim! My youngest would drink milk by the gallon if I would let him - whole, 2%, or skim so I give him whole for now but 2% is better than no milk.

Answer by missanc at 5:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Don't borrow trouble! I'm sure you have bigger things in your life that deserve you attention and anxiety than whether or not your DD has had whole milk. Honestly, there are plenty of children out there that have never had cow's milk and they are fine developmentally. Your DD is growing & developing fine, so don't create a problem where there is none, because if you worry about it enough, you will start seeing stuff that isn't there....Let her be and let yourself be! Enjoy your baby girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My 14 year old has never had a glass of milk. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Cows milk is for HUMANS...our earth our way lol.Cows dont get a say til they can vote...raise a hoof if you dont wanna be milked..oh wait they cant ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If you dont drink milk what do you not eat/drink yogurt?cheese,ice creams? Do you eat eggs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• we don't drink milk either. we get good fats from nuts, avocados, and fish. we just drink water.
    anon :05we still do cheese, ice cream, butter and yogurt on occasion, and milk added to baked goods...but we consider all of that junk food. we eat eggs. we will cut the rest of the dairy within the next 2 years.
    anon:02 i believe that if you would not suck the utter of a cow, then it is not meant for you.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• We used other foods for the fat content to help brain development, but for our family we used skim milk. Our children get horrible gas when exposed to something with high milk fat content like whole milk or even 2%. So we've always used skim milk and my children all developed normal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010