I need some ADHD advice...

G/daughter is being evaluated for ADHD. She is 5 and in Kgarten. She is not doing very well and has a lot of difficulties sitting still, talking out, tantrums, etc. She has been going to therapy and they are about ready to make a final diagnosis--ADHD looks like it is going to be a diagnosis. Question is I don't know alot about it. If you or your child has it, how were you diagnosed? Were you put on meds? How did that affect your behavior? Thanks for the time...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I was in the camp of adhd is just a label, until I was forced to have my son evaluated. Not forced by the school, but by what I was seeing. In kindergareten they wanted me to have him evaluated and I made excuses, oh he's just young for his grade, he'll grow out of it, its just a label. Well 2 years later, when he wasnt learning anything and no amount of diciplicine in the world was helping his behavior, I was forced to change my thinking. I had him evaluated by a child psychologist and a neuropsychologist. He was diagnosed with ADD and put on concerta. His grades, in the space of one card marking, went from failing to near perfect.

For those who say that add is not a real diagnoses, its just a label, obviously they dont have an adhd child. Is it overdiagnosed? Im sure it is, but it doesnt make it any less a real diagnoses for children out there like mine.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 8:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• She's going to be on meds the rest of her life. Do you want that for her? A five year old is a five year old. Most have trouble concentrating. She probably doesn't have ADHD-she sounds like a kid.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have ADD and my dad has ADHD. I take meds for it but my dad will not. ADHD is actually the same thing as ADD except it involves they hyperactivity part. I take Adderall for my ADD, and if my dad were to take anything, he would prob. take the same thing (as both are very similar disorders). But she could also grow out of it (a lot of children diagnosed with ADHD grow out of it gradually). There are also other medicines her doc. could prescribe.. like concerta, ritilan (sp?), Adderall XR..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• adhd is not a real illness, you have a hyper child and they give that label to hyper children just to say they did something. my dh was diagnosed with adhd as a kid because he wouldn't sit still and was hyper, they put him on conserta for years and it did nothing, he's an adult now, not on meds and fully functioning. he was just a hyper child, nothing more...don't let them convince you there is something wrong with her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• this Sara chick is a real positive girl, huh?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My daughter had a full neuropsychological evaluation and was diagnosed ADHD (really ADD but they do not separate the two conditions anymore). She didn't qualify for help in our district because she wasn't 2 full grade levels behind. Although she is now. She is very inattentive and struggles with her work. Her doctor does not want to put her on any meds. i am torn about it because if there was something that could help her focus I think it would really help. But for now we are taking it one day at a time.

My sisters son has ADHD and is on adderall since 4rth grade (high school now) and he is doing great. After they started the medicine the doctor asked him how he felt and he said, "thank you, because now I can think, before everything was all jumbled and confused, I feel like this is the real me"

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• ADHD is diagnosed through observations of behavior. Typically, parents & teachers are given questionaires & the diagnosing specialist will do observations, then, based on the results, you get a diagnosis. As for treatments, there are alternatives to medications, but how well alternatives will work depends strongly on how dedicated you are to maintaining them. Predictable schedules along with a structured day and visual (or other) supports can go a long way toward minimizing the symptoms of ADHD. For many children, dietary changes and/or nutritional supplements, although not a "magic bullet", can significantly reduce the symptoms of ADHD. Behavioral supports, if kept consistent between school & home, can also greatly reduce the symptoms of ADHD. If all else fails, medication may be helpful. Some children just need it & it should be considered like any other medication taken for any other disorder.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2010