why wont my one year old eat?

everytime we pu him in his high chair he fusses. we try to feed him from a spoon and he refuses so i let him feed himself with finger foods. he will put it in his mouth but most of it he ends up spitting out. and he repeats this. he has begun to lose weight. athis 1 year check up about a week ago the dr.said he weighed 19 lbs. which is in the 10th percentile for his age. in other words my baby is underweight. i have tried everyhing different foods, holding him while he eats, singing, making silly sounds, making a game of it, letting him play and take little bites of food throughout the day but none of this is working e is not gaining weight and everything that goe in his mouth just gets spit back out. i have now started him on pediasure for the calories and nutrients he needs. i dont know what else to do. has anyone else experienced this? what do i do? how can i get him to eat?

JazzyTysMomma

Asked by JazzyTysMomma at 2:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Health

• hi..i posted something like this about my daughter. are you/did you breastfeed? i do, and i think that is why my daughter is rejecting other sources of food. she will not open her mouth, she turns her head, plays with the food, and dinnertime is really a joke because hardly a spoonful is actually swallowed. she turned one on march 23rd. she's 21 lbs. also, does your son have a sensitive gag reflex? mine will gag often whenever she's actually eating solid piece of food, if you use bottles or sippys, try putting baby food in the blender until its liquid. then fill up the sippy/bottle. she takes her bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, and other veggies this way.
    StrongYoungMom

Answer by StrongYoungMom at 3:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Kids will eat when they are hungry. Some babies just don't want to eat. Pediasure is a great way to help kids out. Just be careful. Don't let your child start knowing he will get it when he doesn't want to eat. So maybe give it to him maybe 30 minutes after meal time?? And maybe a vitamin at bed time?? I am sorry you are having a rough time with your little one. Just remind yourself he will eat when his body tells him too. :) Good luck
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Why didn't your doctor suggest anything to you? My oldest son didn't want to eat anything except mac n cheese and chicken nuggets for the longest time. The doctor said to ween him of that don't offer those foods and when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat what's available. Try giving him a variety of foods. Fruits. Veggies. Meats. Seriously try ANYTHING on him. Maybe he just doesn't like what you're giving him. If none of that works try taking him back to the doctor or a different doctor to get things figured out.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 3:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• None of my 4 kids were over 20 lbs at a year. Just keep offering a variety of foods and don't let him know that it upsets you when he doesn't eat. My 17 month old eats 3 meals and 2 snacks/day, so he's eating something every 2-3 hours that he's awake. Small meals, multiple times/day work best at this age - even if he only eats a little every time, it will add up. Are you feeding him what you're eating? If he sees you eating it, he may be more apt to eat it himself. Make a big deal out of how yummy it is as you're eating.
    Also - this is a really bad habit so I wouldn't suggest it long term, but have you tried turning on the tv when he's in his highchair? Sometimes kids will "robot eat" like we do when they are watching tv without actually paying attention to what or how much they are eating. I did this with my son once after he was sick and I was trying to get some food in him.

Answer by missanc at 5:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• There is a great book called Baby Led Weaning, that may help you. http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My daughter is 3 now and weighs 27lbs. When she was 1 she weighed 17lbs and barely ate as well. I used to buy those Puff things for her to eat. Just keep trying all kinds of things. There has to be something they will eat. Don't worry too much about his percentile and weight. It doesn't mean as much as you think. and don't worry if he doesn't eat as much as most kids do. My daughter goes through spurts where she barely eat, then where she eats alot. Just hang in there.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i have tried waiting till he has to be starving, i have tried giving him anything and everything, and i have tried the tv. he wont eat. i could not feed him all day and he still wont eat. and the litle puff snacks he does like sometimes he will eat them but most f the time just sucks on them and tastse them and spits them out. at dinner when me and dad are eating or any other meal that we eat he hovers around us like hes hungry so we will let him have what we are having but he just spits his bite out after gettingit soggy in his mouth. he doesnt swallow anything. i dont think he has a prblem with gagging i dont think thats it but i guess i could watch it. he has circles and bags around his eyes and is so skinny. hes beggining to not look healthy. the dr. said if im still worried about it in a month to bring him in, but also said that giving him pedeasure is about all you can do. he isnt really assuring.
    JazzyTysMomma

Answer by JazzyTysMomma at 10:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Have you called his doctor?
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i havent calle yet cause the dr. said to come back in a month if im still concerned its only been a week i just dont feel that he is taking anything seriously enough. im thinking about switching drs. but it seems to be in my area all the drs. are quacks. tey just want to get you in and out as fast as possible. the only thing there really good at is prescribing meds.
    JazzyTysMomma

Answer by JazzyTysMomma at 10:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2010