How important are swimming lessons to you and at what age do you make your child start with the lessons?

how much did it cost? how long was one session? an hour or half an hour?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never enrolled my kids in swimming classes, but I had my lifeguard cert from Red Cross when I was a teen - so I've taught them. My older kids are 8, 10, and 12 and are like fish - very strong swimmers and I have little concern when we are at the pool/ocean. My youngest is 17 months - I took him in the pool as soon as it opened last summer and he's been in the ocean multiple times (my parents and inlaws both have places at the beach). By the end of last summer he had learned to float and go underwater with me (I would count 1, 2, 3, under).
    Our City offers swimming lessons throughout the year for fairly inexpensive.

Answer by missanc at 5:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It was $40.00 for 4 weeks, 30 minutes. It wasn't one on one. It was a pretty big group. I taught my child the basics, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i taught myself how to swim when i was two(there are videos), any kid can if you just give them a little freedom. as long as you are right there to grab them if they start to sink let them learn on their own...i grew up to be a lifeguard, never had a swim lesson in my life
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• 45 dollars for 5 weeks and i think its every tuesday with like 30 other kids for like an hour.Im hoping mine will pick up his daddies skills (he is an amzing swimmer) plus both grandparents have pools.mine is starting this year.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• http://www.infantswim.com
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• every child should know how to swim!! i think thats one important thing every person should know!!! i started my daughter in swimming lessons when she was 3...they cost about 50bucks for 10 sessions..each session was 30 minutes..and our pools here only allow a maximum of 6 kids/per class..i did my daughters in the summer..so that she could go mon-fri..learn better that way..doing it one or two times a week os fine when theyre older and know how to swim..but when theyre just learning, its best to do it every day!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I think it's very important. Especially because my parents have a pond in their back yard and I am terrified of my son falling in so I want him to know how to stay afloat if he has to. We started at 6 months. I paid for the lessons once, then the second session was the same over and over so I started doing it myself. At his age it's just water orientation anyway.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:00 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My boys and Dh are taking classes this summer. They love being in the pool but I get anxiety trying to keep track of that many ppl in and out of the pool. For adults is $55 and for kids $45.

I am the only one in my family that can swim. When I say only one...Mom, dad, sister, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins... NONE of them know how to swim. I think its wierd.

After my Ds almost drowned in the care of my mother because he jumped in 6 feet and she was not looking... Its time to get them some lessons.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• what age? My daughter started at age 5
    how much did it cost? About $40 for 3x/week for 2 weeks
    how long was one session? 1 hour
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I live in FL so pretty important for us. My son started swimming lesson at 3. We took him to our communities pool for the lesson and they were pretty inexpensive. Cost $35 for residents for two weeks 1/2 hour a day. Only 2 kids in the class.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010