runners, do you wear any kind of support like for ankle or knees?

the lower front part of my leg hurts and I'm not sure why. is this normal after a run?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you are new to running...you may want to cut back a little bit. if this is shin splints coming on, you do not want them to get worse!! to strengthen your shins and to prevent shin splints stand on the edge of a step on the ball of your feet, raise up for a count of ten and lower down for a count of ten. do ten sets.
    also, if you can take your runs off pavement...jogging trails or even jogging on the grass instead of the sidewalk is helpful. the pounding on the hard surfaces can be very hard on the body.
    that barefoot running sound pretty cool!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• it is normal because you worked your muscles, it's called shin splints. yeah i'm a runner and i've never used a support, the only reason to use one is if you tore a muscle but it doesn't sound like you did...just go a little easier and work your way up
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I use no support whatsoever and wear vibram five fingers "barefoot shoes". I used to get knee issues with support shoes I had kitted out for me by a professional (used a running machine to determine my running form too). "Barefoot running" no problems.

If you have done a particularly long run or aren't used to running then aching muscles is normal but if not then this may be an issue. Get plenty of water, eat lots of bananas after runs and make sure you aren't overworking. I can't really suggest much without knowing how you are with running but if you are a regular runner I would say this isn't normal.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• thanks! I'm new to running and even as I was walking a while ago it hurt a bit. Should I raise the ball of my feet like tiptoeing to strengthen my shins? I was running off the pavement. The pounding on the hard surface must have been bad. I'll try jogging on the grass or on the beach next time.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2010