ADD/ADHD

Lots of people think that there is no such thing as an ADD kid, just a bad kid, or a kid that needs more discipline.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am sure it is real just as I am sure it is overdiagnosed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i personally think kids are kids, some just don't pay attention cause they are a different kind of learner, some are visual, some are hands on, and some are book learners...just because they don't learn a certain way or get bored and don't pay attention or get hyper doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i think teachers just dont wanna deal with diffrent kids, so now they label them...back in the days they had normal names like.... "all boy " "curious" "bored" all them kids made it thru society just fine...why do they need to make them feel out of place now...kids come in all flavours.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I agree with PP.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 3:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I honestly don't think it matters what anybody else thinks. As a parent, you do what you must for your own child and let everybody else do what they want for their child. Labeling a child with ADD/ADHD is no different than labeling a child as "all boy", "bored", "curious" or "bad", except that maybe the child with the ADD/ADHD label is getting some help for his needs and the "other-ly labeled" child's needs are being ignored.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have a 7 yr old that was just diagnosed with ODD and ADD..no its not my parenting skills or the school for once..its just the way my daughter is and apparently shes always had it since she was little..I understand some people wanna blame the way their child acts on the excuse they have whatever but in my case im going threw this and its hard..i know some parents who told me their child has adhd and yet they let their child do whatever they wanted talk how ever they wanted .acted how ever they wanted..they never did anything about it..so in my opinion that was just spoiling them.I dont do that with my daughter..she gets disiplined for misbehaving...I never knew what ODD or ADD was till we went to the doctors..and the information i got on both described her right to the last mark....so to me ADD is real...but people should'nt blame that on a child who misbehaves and does'nt get disiplined for it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I think people who don't believe the conditions exist, have never had a child with it. I don't have any add/adhd kids, but my nephews are as are my best friends son who is also autistic. In these cases, these children would not be successful in school or life without their meds. I have seen add/adhd kids that were clearly not and were medicated and turned into zombies. This happens, but not with everyone.

I also agree with pp that it is horribly diagnosed. I've seen this as a substitute teacher, it was horrible.

heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010