How many days of school does your child typically miss in a year?

My child misses about 10 days a year! I think this is way too much, but he is always sick. When I was younger I rarely missed school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well ever since the school implemented the no return to school for 24hr after a fever rule,alot more than he should. This pisses me off to no end. Cold's go around despite the fact that my kid returns to school lets say,12 hrs after a fever.They freak out all the time! They've sent him home several times saying he had a fever,and when I get him home....0 fever! And of course,no school the next day! Thank God I'm a SAHM,because I would have been fired a long time ago!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Well my step-DD has missed none this year and my step-son missed 3 days this year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I didn't miss much school as a kid either. We were only allowed to miss so many days per grading period. In high school, we were allowed 1day for each trimester. If you missed more for any reason, you had to petition the school board for your grades or repeat the school year. The first year they implemented that rule, there was a flu and a mono outbreak where so many students were sick and still at school, that they had to close school for a week each time.

My daughter misses about 10 also. She's in 1st grade and her school does not have any rules on how many days they can or cannot miss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• since school started in september my daughter has missed 5 days..shes in kindergarten..so its not THAT big of a deal tho..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• We skip school alot. But then...we homeschool. So no biggie. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Typically, they don't miss any. My kids seem to always have been amazingly healthy, and rarely get sick. And they get this huge thrill out of getting the Perfect Attendance award, so they don't generally try to fake it or otherwise get out of school. This year, my youngest did miss 1 day, though, b/c he got sick. And they both had an excused tardy for a dr. appt that I wasn't able to schedule for after school.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Mine are around five days or so.

My oldest misses three days a year for an appointment with a specialist, she goes every three months. Then maybe one or two for being sick.

My middle one has had strep throat several times this year so she can't return until she is on the antibiotics for 24 hours, which I usually follow.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My son has missed 4.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My oldest, who is 11, almost never misses school. She is SO healthy! This school year (5th grade) she did miss 4 days because of the swine flu. She had perfect attendance for 4th, 3rd, and 2nd grade. She was more upset about missing school than she was about having the flu and if she had her way, she would have gone to school even though she had a fever!

My 6 yo is a different story though! This has been her best year (I think she has only missed about 7 days) but last year she missed SO many days due to illness, Dr Appointments, and surgeries, that the school was sending me threat letters on a regular basis. Of course all of her absences were for good reason and the school told me to ignore the letters since the "computer" makes them from the main office for kids that miss too many days (excused or not!). It still made me mad that the letters kept coming though!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My son is 10 and he rarely misses. This is is second year in a row that he will have perfect attendance. He has had a couple of appointments where he's missed a little bit, but they don't count that.

My daughter on the other hand misses at least 5 days and last year it was probably more. She has asthma and allergies and seems to always get sick. She has also missed a couple of days to go see a specialist in another town.

But, if they're sick it's best to keep them home, so they are not spreading germs. They're also not going to be learning anything if they don't feel well. Too many parents send their kids to school sick or don't keep them home until they have been fever free for 24 hrs.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 7:41 AM on Apr. 16, 2010