Proactiv

Does anyone here use it? I've been using it for about a week, but it seems like my skin is getting oilier and breaking out MORE now that I'm using it. Like its bringing everything to the surface.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Me! I used it for a month because I wanted to make sure I gave it my all but my skin was way more oily while using it, I finally had to throw in the towel. I had a friend that swears by it though! It worked for her. So I think it's just different for different people..
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 4:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I had a friend also has used it for years and it has does wonders to her skin. I really think that it isn't for everyone. I do know that it works i have seen it with my own eyes. I have to tell you I swear by my Oily Oliy i have used the face wash and the lotion since i was 16 and i am 33 now and my skin looks great.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I used it for a little while and I didn't have that problem. Though, what did happen with me is that if I missed a day I'd get a giant zit! It's like my skin was addicted to it or something. I think the PP that said "it's just not for everyone" was probably right.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I agree, its not for everyone. However, I am in your boat OP. I tried it for a month and everyday my skin got oiler in my t-zone and dry and flaky everywhere else. All I was trying to clear up was a few things here and there and some dark spots. Instead I wound up with more acne than I have ever had in my life. My dh planned a date night for us and I cried at the thought of someone seeing me. It was bad! My face would burn after every treatment. When I called and talked to thier "specialist" sh/she would simply say, "Proactiv has been known to make acne worse before making it better. What is is doing is pulling all that dirt and oil out of your pore and to the surface to that it can be cleaned and cleared." Bull pucky!

Anyway, I canceled proactiv and I am now using Neutrogena fade and toner to clear up the mistake proactiv has done.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I used it for a little while and my skin cleared up, but it became extremely dry and peeling. No matter how much moisturizer I used. I think it was a little too harsh for me.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My daughter has been using it for about 2 months.. I am not seeing a difference..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 7:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• proactiv didnt work for me either, i know a better product called clenziderm that works 100% - PM if you want to know how to get it
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I did not. It's overpriced and the active ingredient is basically benzoyl peroxide. Clearasil vanishing cream has benzoyl peroxide and you'll only use it on the zits itself. Tea tree oil is very good for the skin too. I just wash with neutrogena facial liquid soap when my skin is oily and when it's dry with cetaphil. Cheap products but dermatologists usually use those so I've given up the expensive facial stuffs ever since I had kids. My skin still looks great. You also need to de-stress. Acne are often caused by stress or bad eating habits. Drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruits and veggies.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I also have oily skin and it didn't work for me. With all skincare you need to give it at least to weeks for your skin to adjust if you go two weeks and your skin is still a mess then change to something else. I started using the Avon acne kit when it came out and have been using it over a year now and love it. Its good for oily skin. If you want to try it email me and i'll send you a free shipping code!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I've been using it since I was about 14 and I'm 20 now. It's always worked for me really well, but like others have said, it doesn't always work for everyone. It definitely works in preventing acne for me.
    Anonymous