Same sex couples to get same visitation rights....thoughts?

WASHINGTON (AP)- In a move hailed as a step toward fairness for same-sex couples, President Barack Obama is ordering that nearly all hospitals allow patients to say who has visitation rights and who can help make medical decisions, including gay and lesbian partners.

The White House on Thursday released a statement by Obama instructing his Health and Human Services secretary to draft rules requiring hospitals that receive Medicare and Medicaid payments to grant all patients the right to designate people who can visit and consult with them at crucial moments.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/15/obama-directs-hhs-to-esta_n_539866.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This doesn't just affect gay couples. It also affects people who aren't married with kids. For example I work with a women in her late 50s who's divorced with no children. If anything serious happens to her she won't be allowed visits by her close friends. Divorced, widowed, with either no kids or kids that have passed on - they're all benefiting from this. There's a broad spectrum of people who will be affected by this, not just gays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• About. Damn. Time.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It is something that is long over due, not just for gays like the previous poster said a broad spectrum of people, something good for Obamas credits.

Answer by older at 8:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I don't see how a single person could object to this. There are many people in loving commited hetero relationships that aren't married. This helps a LOT of people. Anyone against this purely because of the gay issue is really letting their hatred flag fly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• clapping

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I think this is wonderful
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It's about time and this isn't just for same sex couples, it would be for anyone not married...cohabitators would have the same rights as married couples. It's a good thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I think this is a good thing.. This makes 3 things done under the BO admin I agree with.. Give kudos where kudos are do... I would have rather liked to see states do this. This isn't a Federal Government issue, imo. Nudges of social CHANGE by the Federal government, are NOT the role of the Federal Government... Not too mention~ all his government expansion and spending far outweigh this positive social moment.  Is this Obama's way to divert the attention of the GROWING unpopularity of his health care plan? After all, it's more about politics and less about compassion.. jmo...:oP

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Something I can agree with the White House on. Good for all patients that have a preference of who to consult with and visit with at crucial moments.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It makes me say DUH- about time!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010