Can my insurance premiums go up for not vaccinating my son?

We received a reminder on the mail from our Ins. Co. stating that our son "might have missed a vaccine shot". Also at the end of the letter (fine print) it says "Financial support for this communication has been provided by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not likely to happen NOW...but I would not be at ALL surprised to see that happen in the future. Just like increasing premiums for smokers.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I selectively vaccinate and have never had my premiums raised due to non vaccination. Of course Wyeth is providing financial support for them to send out vaccination reminders - they are the ones who benefit!!

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• fin support means that someone paid for it out of their communication fund. i have never heard of someone's premimium's going up bc of it but if it's a private insurance group they can raise it for that. if you decide not to vac your child they can see it as not "preventing" illness. it's like not going in for physicals just bc you don't want to.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Of course Wyeth is providing financial support for them to send out vaccination reminders - they are the ones who benefit!!

Thanks for confirming this. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• if you decide not to vac your child they can see it as not "preventing" illness. it's like not going in for physicals just bc you don't want to.

Thanks a lot. op
    Anonymous

• i highly doubt that insurance benefits would be different if you opted out of vaccines, but you should read your contract. what you described sounds like other posters said, wyeth paid for the mailing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I doubt that will happen. We get reminders from our insurance company from time to time to remember to vaccinate, which we already do. Honestly though I highly doubt it's a conspiracy with the pharmaceutical company to make money because you vaccinate your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Parents deciding not to vaccinate can affect insurance premiums overall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

I think that is a joke, that can't up your premiums for not vaccinating anymore than they can up them for not breastfeeding. Both "prevent illness", and on average a FF babies bills are $1400 more the first year of life let alone the rest of their lives.

So no I don't think they can. Vaccination is a choice not a mandate or requirement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2010