How do I make my house smell good?

Whenever I walk into my babysitters house, it always smells very clean and fresh. I look around but can't find any Plug-Ins or anything sticking out of the walls.

I have 2 kids and a dog... it smells like kids and a dog. :P Even after I clean, vacuum, mop, Febreeze... it still doesn't stay that way.

Give me links of what I can buy or use to help! :) Thanks!

Happypancake

Asked by Happypancake at 9:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can boil some cinnamon apple tea bags, or febreeze the furniture when you get in. You could use a candle warmer, too when you are expecting company.
    People also rave about Scentsy products, but I've yet to try them.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i bet she sprays air freshener before people come over. That's what I do;) Bath and Body Works have some GREAT air freshener that is strong and smells so good! I like fresh bamboo, leaves and lemon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• that's really odd. Some things, like a fridge with something going bad or a garbage disposal that hasn't been run can cause odors but you were saying the smell was more family related. The dog itself may need a bath but I'm guessing you try that. I personally use febreez before people come over so the scent (I like the natural fresh air/cotton type scent) is still in the air but settled enough to smell natural. Maybe have the carpets deep cleaned?
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Oh I've tried Scentsy...I don't like it. Its a very heavy smell and I bought the cotton breeze or whatever and it just hung heavily in the air. Made me want to sneeze. Certainly smells like you're using something, but you will smell it!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• We have the diffiusers.. The sticks in the liquid stuff.. And some brands of those are SOO good!! But I'm huge on smells because we have two inside dogs (we live in an aprtment)... so i have febreeze.. plus plug ins.. plus diffusers.. plus i use carpet powder in the carpet right before i vaccuum. lol.. so our place smells so good but we probably spend 20 dollars a week on candles and all.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Simmer vinegar on the stove.

Put two cups water and half a cup of white vinegar in a small pot. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for a half hour. The house will smell like vinegar while it simmers, and you will think I'm crazy, but stick with it. After you turn it off, pour the hot solution down your sink drain (the one with the garbage disposal if you have one) and rinse out the pot. In a few minutes, the vinegar odor will dissipate, and the air will smell cleaner.

Yes, this really works. I use this because we have chemical sensitivities, so I can't use plug-ins or febreze. I also use baking soda sprinkled on my carpet before I vacuum to pick up pet odors. Not only do these work, they don't have chemicals, they are safe for pets and children, and they are much cheaper than the other stuff.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Get a candle warmer, and a good yankee candle (I like the clean cotton or honeydew melon). Set it on the candle warmer, you don't even have to light it just let it melt. It will fill your house with a lovely smell!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I just keep my house clean and it doesn't stink. We don't use any type of sprays or candles either. When I clean I use vinegar/water. The vinegar smell goes away as soon as it dries. On ocassion we spray with a tea tree oil solution but that smell doesn't generally stick around either.
    I have 2 kids and one on the way.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 10:31 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Keeping the dog regularly bather and the kids cleaning up after them selves will help a lot. The biggest recuperate of house hold smells is the trash can and sink. Trash cans being hidden under a sink or in a broom closet will help as will cleaning dishes as they become dirty rather than letting them sit until evening. Closed laundry baskets help some. She alos probably uses strong scented cleaning materials- lemon or pine. dusting the carpet with scented baking soda powder before vacuuming is a big help to. Also she may be gettin gup early to wipe things down and wiping things down all day long keeping things fresh.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 10:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Before we found out our youngest has asthma and is allergic to heavy smells, I would spray new light bulbs with perfume and let dry before I would change a new for a burned out one. So every time we would turn on a light, the room would start smelling good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2010