Problem with toddler feeding himself.....

We're trying to get our 19-month-old son to start eating on his own, like a bowl of cheerios or a cracker, however, he'll stuff them all into his mouth at one time. Is this normal?? If we put food on a plate at dinner, he'll start stuffing everything in too.

I keep seeing all these kids younger than him holding a cracker or french fry and taking bites off of it. My son will try to put the whole thing in his mouth. I keep telling him and showing him how to take bites, yet, he just wants it all in his mouth at one time.

Is this just a phase? Or is there something that I'm not doing to help him?

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 17 months and sometimes he will bite, other times he will stuff. It depends on what it is. When I see him trying to stuff his mouth, I hand over hand show him how to take a bite and then let him try again. It's a learning process, but the more you show him how to do it right and he gets a chance to practice, the better he will get.

Answer by missanc at 10:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2010