I was just at the mall..... JOBLESS people rant

and saw all these places that are hiring...I went to another mall and saw the same thing..So WHY arnt people taking those jobs?I dont get it..JOBS! they wernt even food court jobs.Photography,bed bath and beyond,Bra stores,Vans,Zumies,T-mobile Verizon,sprint..
It it just because you people are 2 lazy to go get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I see the same thing all over my area too. I don't really understand it!

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have been wondering the same thing. Many people, though, view retail as peon jobs. When in fact, they actually pay more than most receptionist positions. We have a family owned business at the malls, it took us forever last year to find people to hire. I am not kidding, we were desperate. There are a ton of jobs advertised in our area, St. Louis. I guess people are taking advantage of the situation alot!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• sadly, for many people, minumum wage does not pay as much as unemployment does
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• You aren't including that fact that usually for every open position, there are several people going after the job. Especially in larger cities like Chicago.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Interesting question. From what I've seen, heard and read, it's a case of "I'm holding out for something that will pay a lot and I don't have to have much responsibility." Minimum wage jobs or those that pay just above minimum wage might not pay as much as unemployment but that is one of the things bleeding this country dry. Not everyone can just sit on their butt and collect money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Like peanutsmommy1 said. I know if I went to work for minumun wage. I would still owe money to daycare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I agree with the fact that a minimum wage job won't pay daycare in some areas and it probably isn't worth it to some people. Not only that but some retail places won't hire people who have no experience in retail because they think they won't be able to handle the long hours on their feet. Which is kind of stupid because how are you going to get the experience if you don't work in a retail store first??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'll give you an example... childcare in my county is NOT cheap, I currently pay $190 a week for my son
    If I got a minimum wage job ($7.45)
    7.45 x 40 = $298
    so I would be working for $108 a week
    I would make more than that on unemployment, and not have any child care expense....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• You seem to forget the fact that retail, especially, is very picky about who they normally hire. Mall stores, in particular, want a lot of retail experience. So here's what happens. The store posts the sign, a ton of people apply, but few to none actually have retail experience. So they have to keep their sign up in order to get more applicants. Also, many retail stores were not hiring at the beginning of the year because they are so slow after Christmas, and many stores want to see where they are at after last quarter sales. If they are hiring now, it could be because the college kids they've hired a few years ago are now graduating and will be moving on to other jobs. I just finally got a new job. It's in my field (medical administrative). I tried places like McD's and mall stores, I didn't have the right experience, or too much experience. You need to not be so quick to judge, and just use common sense here, OP.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I SEE THOSE, BUT THERE ARE SOOOO MANY GOING FOR THE SAME JOB.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2010