Store or table waiting job?

I have decided to work to help out with the bills. Now, I have two choices. I would love to work as table waiting so I can get tips. LOL . What about working in stores like Macys or JCP. I love clothes and I can get discounts. LOL. Which one do you think is the best choice? I will be working for 3 days a week. Any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• It really is a toss up. Usually waiters/waitressess make less than min wage and thier tips are supposed to make up the difference. At the clothing store you'll be paid at least min wage. You'd get a discount on clothing, so that not just helps you but your whole family on clothing...whereas...waiting tables they'd probably give you a discount on food...and that usually isn't for the whole family...just you.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I would apply for both and see which one give you the best benefits (money, a schedule that works for you and your family, etc)
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• When I worked in food service, I still had to pay for my food. Although I was friends with the cook so he would give me and my friends free food! But the pp is right, they won't give discounts to your family. Working at a clothing store seems like the best bet, then you can get discounted clothes for the whole family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I am in the same position. I have to start working at least part time. I think I would go retail. I just don't think I could actually remember peoples orders. LOL I can't even remember what I had for breakfast!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I actually like working in retail. I have a different profession now, but when I was in college, I worked at several stores and really liked it. I love clothes so it was a good fit for me. On the other hand, working in food service SUCKS! I also did that a few times and it was horrible. I had the worst experiences as a waitress and the tips aren't always that great. All the experienced servers get to work the best shifts anyway.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If your a hot mama the wait tables. Smile big and chat with the men real nice like border line flirting and you can make a lot in tips. I can make 400 in tips on a good week night and closer to 550 on weekends if I play my cards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I dunno- people can get really pissy at restaurants so...maybe the stores- but honestly I would go with whichever one would work with a 3 day a week schedule...I think that may be harder to get in retail
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• depends on the discount Old Navy is only 10%. Not that great in the big scheme of things. I personally couldn't wait tables. The first time someone got an attitude with me they would have their dinner in their lap... 'oops?'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Retail is becomming a tough, tough business and it's the ones at the bottom that do all the giving. I did enjoy it though(dealing with the customers and all the other challenges) and depending on the store, it can be good or bad. Your on the right track looking at better stores like Macy's, rather than ghetto marts. Good luck
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Starbucks :) free coffee WHOOOT JK I say department store. Cloths or household items are ALWAYS a must and yay for discounts.target,safeway and walmart are good places to kinda start for experience also
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2010