How do I get a funky smelling garbage disposal to smell clean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• On HGTV they put lemon peels down it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Pour in some baking soda, then some vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes, then flush with hot water. Then pour in some lemon juice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• yep to both pp...also you can pour bleach down there and let it sit. its the bacteria smelling so once that 'dead" no smell. and its always good to occassionally grind up a lemon or some bleach in it to fight off bacteria growth. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• As Anon stated, pour in baking soda and then vinegar.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• i usually toss 1/2 a lemon or lime down the disposal every once in a while.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If you put citrus fruits down there is should help. I usually do it once a week to keep the smell away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• They make this stuff that I buy called "Disposer Care". Its a little package of stuff you put in there & run it & it foams up. Also I use a toothbrush to clean that rubbery thing..the back side of it...because stuff gets all gunked up on there. I just use some Soft Scrub & the toothbrush to scrub around under there.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• We use lemon juice and bleach. grind lemon peels first in disposal, pour juice down as it grinds. Then we top it off with bleach.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I use baking soda and vinegar followed by hot water once a month. Once a week I grind lemon.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• like lisa89i, I use Disposal Care. The stuff works and you can see the crud come up as it foams.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2010