Mission Trips- Your experiance

Just wondering how many Cafe Mom's have stepped out of their lives to join a mission trip. I'll admit, I have and did'nt post this to brag. They are just such wonderful experiances and I thought it would be a great subject. I'll start....I've been on three. Once to help build schools in El Salvador and it was such a different world, but the people are just as wonderful and loving as you would find anywhere and the high of making a difference in someones life is like none other. Another was to Mississippi to rebuild homes after Katrina. That was an unforgettable experiance, I'll always treasure. Lastly was to help teach and care for the Mentally challenged In a facility in Indiana. I left a big piece of my heart there. That was the ony one that ended on a sour note. It was a Catholic facility and they were offended that I wanted 2 hours off a week to worship in my own faith and said we must part. But I would go back again.

GMMOLLY

Asked by GMMOLLY at 10:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• As far as the 3 trips here in the States, I went with an organization called "Constructors for Christ". Their goal is to help small churches who have been meeting in various locations, to build their first church building. They choose one church a year and set aside 6-8 weeks in the summer for it to be built. Most people/church groups will sign up for 1 week. Most of the women that go are in charge of cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the workers and for the local community. Occasionally, we would also help with a vacation bible school as well. Most of the men are in charge of building the church. Occasionally, you would see a women on the construction site and a man in the kitchen. I did this as a teen with my family. We went to Terra Haute, IN, Gary, IN, and a very small town outside of Germantown, TN. I really enjoyed these experiences and I hope to do more in the near future.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I haven't gone. My sister and her husband have and they loved it. I think it would do everyone in america some good to go on a trip like that and see what life is like in other countries that are not as fortunate.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I have been on 2 international mission trips and 3 within the United States. On the International trips, I went to Ukraine and Costa Rica. My heart is still in Ukraine. I would love to go back one day. We did have a few problems there though. We were almost arrested by a police officer there because he thought we were with the CIA. He confiscated our cameras but we did get them back. Our interpreter had gone to make a phone call to his wife and when he got back, he explained everything to the police officer. We also had to go talk with the mayor. He was upset at first that we were there and he did not know we were coming but by the end of the trip, he offered my dad and I an invitation to come live in Ukraine. I also enjoyed the trip to Costa Rica. I helped with a Vacation Bible school there. I fell in love with some of the kids and we had a wonderful experience overall. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:00 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I too am looking for more opportunities to do mission work, I just seem to come alive. Hpefully many more will share, it is so inspireing to read about the good, instead of what seems, always the bad. Thank you for the answers and the answers yet to come...........Mollygroup hugyou rockbow down

GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2010