Glass top table in the backyard with a 3 year old and 1 year old?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 10:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I totally feel you on the unwanted gifts from a well-intentioned but not-so-courteous mom. I think my response is being passive-aggressive when she watches my kids. (Spoken very loudly to a 19 month-old in front of Grandma): "Greta, you KNOW you're not supposed to have sweets right before dinner. Why are you eating that lollipop?" Good luck, and I do hope I'm not mistaken :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Bad idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I personally think it's a phenomenally bad idea but my mom is insistent on bringing down this glass top table that she's been restoring. While I appreciate the sentiment no amount of "NO, this is a very bad idea and I'm not comfortable with it. DON'T BRING THE TABLE!!!" isn't deterring her.

Ugh, I love my mom but sometimes......
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:01 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I don't know, I guess I'd have to see the table, but we have a glass table top for our dining room table and we have a 1 and 3 year-old and it has been totally fine. Granted it's not where they roughhouse, but at least with our table, as long as they're not throwing stones or bricks at it, it's not going to shatter. My in-laws also have a big glass coffee table they've had since their kids (my husband and his siblings) were young, and they laugh about how well it has lasted with 2 generations of crazy kids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If its like a coffee table then NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!! especially if its going outside where they play! come on think a little bit here!
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 1:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• It's an outdoor patio set. Now I'll admit that I haven't seen it but glass and toddler or kids just don't mix. She asked me to "ask my friends" what they thought but I thought this would be more fun ;)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 2:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Honestly if it's made to be an outdoor set I really don't think your kids will be able to break it, as much running around as they do. Without bricks or shotguns, at least. Our dining room glass table is really strong... We've broken wine glasses on it, but it's just not going to break. If this is your only consideration in not wanting it, I would take it if I were you.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• You really think so? I just have visions of busted glass and bloody faces when I think about it. I mean I don't think my kids would intentionally throw rocks at it but maybe play rough around it. IDK, I guess it's coming here one way or another and I don't really have much of a say.

Thanks for your input ladies :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• If it isn't your house, I wouldn't worry. Besides, they wouldn't be outside without an adult at that age I'm assuming, so someone would always be watching them.
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 11:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Nope, you're right on it EmilySusan lol. But in this case I've gone from being passive aggressive and trying to be nice to outright saying no. The house we live in belongs to my parents so I really don't have much of a say in the end. I'm sure it's a nice patio set and all....

I do sometimes let my 3 year old outside by herself but I'm always watching from a window. Maybe I'm just being over paranoid. I know I've never seen a glass table break but you just never know :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2010